Brody's Confession

I woke early, a gentle breeze was flowing through the empty window by my side. Turning over, I decided to get dressed. But as I turned, I gasped. James stood before me in dark robes, they fluttered around him, giving him an appearance of a dementor, he seemed darker than usual, sinister, and I knew by the look on his face that he needed to say something.

"James?" I asked drowsily.

"You chose the wrong side, sister, they will lose in the end, it cannot be avoided. I did not wish for it to come to this. I love you with all my heart and soul. But the Dark Lord has powers, he will defeat you all."

"Voldemort is nothing more than a murderer and a coward, how can you live with such a man...can you even call that thing a man?"

James flinched at the name of his master. "He will be a great ruler, he has promised me much, so much. I will be given the opportunity to rule the world. Immortality."

"He lies."

"He doesn't, you can have all of that too, if you wish, all you have to do is make the right choice."

"You bastard! How could you betray our parents? Our father fought so long against him, now you're helping him, you're a disgrace!"

James' face fell. "If that's how you feel..."

There was a whoosh of air and a moment later, he was gone.

--------------------

An hour later, I sat with Brody in the common room, the fire now turning to embers, glowing in the pale light of the sunrise.

"Why do you have that bruise?" I asked randomly.

"I don't really talk about that."

"Brody, you know you can tell me anything." I said, taking his hand.

"I know, it's just...private."

"Pfft, you liar, come on. Tell me."

"I-I."

"I'll tickle you!" I threatened.

"Fine, fine! Don't tickle me though! I'll tell you." He said, holding his hands up in surrender.

"Go on."

"My parents beat me." He sighed.

"What?!"

"They hated the fact I was magical, my aunt was a witch but mother envies her."

"How could they hurt you?"

"It doesn't matter."

"It does, here, I got this from Uncle George, it heals bruises." I said, passing him a cream.

"Thanks."

"Don't mention it."

Brody's bruise immediately began to heal. The purple mark turning a brown-green colour and slowly vanishing. The swelling also reduced to show large brown eyes staring at me. His eyes matched some of the darker streaks in his hair. Soon, I noticed I was staring. I cleared my throat and looked away, embarrassed.

--------------------

"What do we have?" Brody asked through a mouthful of bacon.

"Well, it's Wednesday so it should be Charms and Transfiguration." I said.

"Great."

"Not so great. I didn't do homework." Someone said from behind us.

"Athena! You're in Ravenclaw. You always do homework." I said.

"We're not Athena." Two voices snapped.

"Anne and Annie. You guys sound like one person."

"That's cause we are twins, duh." They said in unison.

"I know, I know. And I can tell the difference, finally."

"Wait, there's a difference?" Brody interrupted.

"Yep, Anne has darker blue eyes than Annie."

"Oh, I see that." Brody said again.

"You call us a that? Our differences and similarities are 'hers', not 'thats'."

"Ok, ok I'm sorry, I see her."

"Forgiven. See you later Lily." The two girls called over their shoulders as they walked away.

"Wow."

"Yeah, let's get to class." I said.