002. an alliance to last centuries

𝔄𝔫 𝔄𝔩𝔩𝔦𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔢 𝔱𝔬 𝔏𝔞𝔰𝔱 ℭ𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔲𝔯𝔦𝔢𝔰

VICTORIA COULD ONLY WORRY MORE weeks after the dinner party. Her nails would have been filed down from her nervousness had it not been Althea catching her doing it and slapping her hand away from her mouth. Arthur's life had not yet been threatened, leaving the anticipation to tear her apart from the inside. Not knowing what the fate of her kingdom could be was extremely distressful to her, especially when the two rulers were on very fragile terms. The kingdoms were in the final stages of completing the peace document, revisions and alterations being made. Victoria was awaiting the news from her father that she would be wed to Prince Arthur and she would have to spend the rest of her days, or at least the majority of them, in Camelot.

Victoria could tell that Arthur was doing his best to please her, as her kingdom had the stronger and larger army, and he did not want to risk any chance to end the possible peace between the two kingdoms. Unfortunately, that meant he walked on eggshells around her. While she understood such efforts, the young prince was also unbelievably awkward around her, which led Victoria to believe that he figured out they may become engaged as a way to cement the alliance. However, it was clear that Arthur did not want to bring up the topic, so normal activities would have to resume.

Like he had been doing for the past week, Arthur came to Victoria's chambers to fetch her for breakfast. He was dressed casually, albeit a tad sweaty from early morning training with the knights, and had his fist raised to knock when Victoria swung the door open with a smile on her face.

"Ah, Arthur," she greeted. 

"How did you-?" Arthur began to ask, puzzled at how she knew he was standing there and lowered his arm.

"Same time every morning," Victoria said, not unkindly, walking out to stand beside him, Althea following in suit and taking her place next to Merlin. "What will we be having today?"

"Eggs, bread, sausage, and apples," Arthur replied, walking with Victoria at his side. "I thought we could eat outside today, in the forest. I know a nice stream nearby."

"That sounds lovely," agreed Victoria.

The four strolled through the doors of the castle and into the bright sunlight. Four horses awaited them, saddled and ready. Victoria climbed upon her own horse, Samson, with no struggle, taking the reins and steering him out of the courtyard. Arthur easily caught up and they trotted at a slow pace into the green shrubbery of the forest. Birds chirped in the trees surrounding them. Morning sunlight shone through the leaves and branches, casting shadows upon the ground in front of them. The scent of rain and dew was settled in the air around them, which blew gently, biting at the princess' skin with a bitter chill to it.

Merlin and Althea rode silently behind them--mostly silent anyways. Every once and a while would Victoria be able to hear the faint giggles and whispered conversations that passed their lips. Victoria felt a smile spread across her face like butter at the joy the morning brought. The dread in her had become to feel so natural, but it fading was like a fresh breath. She began to think that, for the first time ever, perhaps one of Diaval's visions would not come to pass, and he had seen wrong. Or at least, she would not have to worry about it for years to come.

Arthur brought the horses to a stop suddenly, the trail ending and ahead of them a small slope adjacent to a small stream of clear water. There, Merlin had already begun laying out the blanket they would sit on for their meal. The large basket Arthur had carried earlier was soon set down and unpacked. A large platter of eggs was set down next to the napkins, a sealed canister of wine was sat by two glasses, and a large plate of sausage and warmed bread and butter was on the table. Victoria allowed Althea to ready her plate for her, and in a matter of seconds, it was filled with various breakfast foods.