Planning

"Glittery curtains." Magnus reminded Alec. They were in the park, planning the wedding. Isabelle, who had insisted on coming along because no wedding would be complete without her "expertise and perfection", was sitting next to Alec and occasionally making small changes in their draft.

Alec added "Glittery curtains" in his almost illegible scrawl and bit the end of his pencil thoughtfully.

"We still haven't figured out the setting. Indoors or outdoors? Maybe the farmhouse?" Alec asked.

"Indoors! We called hire a room. It could be a party wedding!" Isabelle exclaimed.

"Uh, I really don't enjoy parties, Isabelle." Alec said hesitantly, but Magnus was already discussing it with Isabelle. He sighed and decided to study the small bird that had landed on the tree branch a few metres from him. It had deep blue chest feathers and was singing a song to another one on the branch next to it. Alec guessed it was a boy, trying to impress the female. Wow, Alec thought, even the birds are straight.

Magnus snapped his fingers in front of Alec's face. "Hello? Alec, you in there?"

Alec blinked. "Yeah, um, sure. What was it?"

Magnus launched into an explanation of how suitable hot pink dining chairs would be, but the cost it would all come to with a hired DJ.

"Bat could DJ." Isabelle reminded Magnus.

"Yeah, about that, I'm not sure about the party thing." Alec said slowly.

"Is this about our parents? Because we had this talk with them, and if they don't like it then it's their problem." Isabelle said.

"No, it's just- I'm not really a party person." Alec said.

Magnus blinked, as if not expecting this. "Okay. Luke and Jocelyn's wedding was nice, don't you think? We could have something like that."

Alec nodded. "Would the farmhouse be okay? We can go somewhere else, if you like."

"Farmhouse is good. Would they mind if we added glittery curtains?" Magnus smiled. "Instead of cake, we could have pie!"

Isabelle grinned. Jace had told Magnus all about their adventures in the demon realms. "And wine."

"Um, okay? Are you guys ever going to get over that? Like ever?" Alec raised an eyebrow.

Magnus smiled. "Not ever."

They planned further, until the sun set and the rush to get home from work started. Alec watched everyone, all the busy mundanes, oblivious to the epic world around them.

They dropped Isabelle off at the institute, but she whined about missing Alec, since he lived with Magnus now.

"I never see you around anymore!" She looked up at him with large, tragic eyes. Alec felt his heart soften.

"Izzy-" He started.

"No, you should go." Magnus grinned at Alec, then pulled him in for a long kiss. "See you."

Magnus left, so Alec followed Isabelle through the large doors of the institute.

They were greeted by Maryse, who welcomed them in with a hug.

"Alec! What are you doing here?" She asked, obviously happy.

"Just thought I'd stay here tonight. I'm missing everyone." Alec smiled.

Maryse nodded and let them through.

They had dinner, cooked by Maryse, who had waved off Isabelle's attempts at letting her make it, saying she wanted to make something special for Alec.

"You can bunk with me tonight, if you want." Jace offered.

"No, it's okay, there's plenty of other rooms-" Maryse started.

"I'll bunk with Jace. Some time with my brother." Alec grinned at him.

"I want to too!" Isabelle said.

"No, Isabelle. It will be too crowded." Maryse said, patting Isabelle's shoulder as if to comfort her.

Isabelle frowned.

"Alright. I'm off to bed." Maryse said, yawning.

"Night." They said in unison. Maryse told them goodnight, gave Alec a hug and left, presumably to bed.

Jace, Alec and Isabelle stayed up a bit later talking and laughing. Alec felt guilt pick at his heart as he realised just how much of Jace and Isabelle's lives he had missed.

Eventually they went to bed. Jace and Alec walked to his room, Alec with a slight skip in his step.

Jace stopped. "Are you okay?"

Alec stopped too, and realised that he had actually been skipping. He gave Jace a smile. "Yeah. Just happy."

Jace smiled back and they continued to his room. Alec slept on a mattress Jace had dragged out and they talked even further.

"I'm really happy for you guys." Jace said after a pause. "I'm the best man, right?"

Alec smiled. "Of course."

After a while Isabelle came in, silent, as always, and moving through the hallways like a cat.

"Hey, little sis." Alec greeted her.

Isabelle smiled and slipped inside the blanket next to him.

"Goodnight."