The Clave

Jace slapped Alec on the shoulder playfully. "It's nice to see you've settled in,"

Alec sighed at the shirts and boxers strewn everywhere. "It's not like that."

"Really? Because it looks exactly like that."

"Well, you're the one who decided to inspect my bedroom."

"It's not like anyone's going to find out..." Jace said innocently.

Alec gave him a withering look. "Tell them, and I'll make sure everyone knows what was on your demon realm packing list."

Jace narrowed his eyes. "Then you'll have Clary to deal with."

"Speaking of Clary," Alec said. "Magnus wanted to ask about the wedding. Are we allowed to install glittery curtains to the farmhouse?"

Jace smirked. "You can do it without permission. Then there'll be Jocelyn's wrath to deal with."

"Maybe you can help us with that. I'm sure you've encountered it many times. You can only hope I don't tell her about that packing list."

"What packing list?" Magnus asked from the doorway. "Why is Jace here?"

"To do some, " He paused for dramatic effect. "Inspecting."

"I'll have to warn Clary about possible sleepovers with you. Just, find somewhere other than a cave next time." Alec said, savouring the slow blush that entered Jaces's face.

Magnus smirked. "I do wish I'd have been there to see that."

"Enough," Jace said, now scarlet. "Maryse wants you at the institute. Both of you."

Alec felt slightly sick to the stomach as he followed Jace and Magnus into the elevator. It was obviously something important.

They knocked on Maryse's office door, and found her sitting on the high-back chair that Alec once fell off and broke his arm on as a child, a worried frown on her face.

"Alec, Magnus. Thankyou for coming. You may leave now, Jace."

Jace reluctantly closed the door behind him.

"The Clave has had a recent meeting in Idris," Maryse said. "And they want me removed from the position of Head of the Institute in four years."

"What the f- Why?" Alec asked incredulously. "After all we've been-"

Magnus put a hand on his arm. "What is their reasoning?"

Maryse sighed and rubbed her temples. "They're upset about all the downworlder visitors we've been having."

"But- the Mortal War- They're having a tantrum over that?"

"The Clave works in strange ways, Alec-"

"I don't care about how the Clave works! We need to have a vote, get some-"

"The bill is already signed, and- Alec, that's not why I asked you here today. We need a replacement head in a few years, and you're the oldest here. Robert is the inquisitor now, and- if it's not you, they're going to split us up and send someone else here."

"What?" It was Magnus. "They can't do that!"

"They very well can, I'm afraid. I need both of your permission on this. Can you run the institute, Alec?" Maryse pushed a contract towards them, and Magnus saw how it hurt her to do so.

Alec stared numbly at the pen. Then, slowly, reluctantly, he signed his name at the bottom.

"I'm sorry, Alec." Maryse sighed.

He nodded. "Let's go, Magnus."

They exited the room, and Magnus followed Alec to the rooftop.

He took a few deep breaths, leaning against the wall, and when he spoke, his voice was small. "I can't do this Magnus. I can't- Why won't they let Mom run the institute? It's ridiculous." He slumped against the wall.

"Alexander. Alexander, listen to me. It's going to be okay. I'll help you." Magnus said, putting his hands on his shoulders. "You won't be alone."

"But-"

"Shh." Magnus drew him in, kissing the corner of his mouth. "It's going to be okay."