The party

~Federal High~

"Hi Evie" Pete drawled as he rested against the locker next to mine.

"It's Ivy" I replied dryly.

"Why the long face babe?" He asked smirking as he laid emphasis on the "babe" and I had to stop myself from rolling my eyes. I really was in no mood for this guy today. Why is he paying attention to me today anyway? Isn't he supposed to have one bimbo on his arm by now?

" Earth to Evie" he said snapping his fingers close to my face.

"What do you want? I spat out suddenly annoyed at his failure to get my name correctly.

"well babe, I wanted to invite you to my party tonight... it'll give us time to get to know each other better" he winked at me.
"I don't do parties." I said immediately. 
Look at you... playing hard to get for the school's most good looking guy. My inner self chastised me.
Don't you know how many girls would die to be in your shoes bitch!

Back off Bitch! I shot back stupidly at my subconscious.

"If you change your mind, here's my address." He said slipping a piece of paper into my hand and immediately turned and walked away.

Sighing, I slid the paper into my pocket and walked off to my next class.

***
I got home late today.. I had to stop at the library after school to complete my pending assignments and catch up on my essay.
I was surprised to have gotten no calls from my mom or Jason. Jason especially. My mom couldn't give a rat's ass most of the time.  It was already seven by the time I walked in through the front door.

The house was eerily quiet and dark.
Where was everybody?

"Mom!" I yelled.. "I'm home"
No answer.

"Jason.. are you in the kitchen?"

Nothing.

Without thinking, I grabbed my phone and went on to dial Jason's number.

He picked on the first ring.

" munchkin are you home?" His voice sounded strained.

"Yes.. where are you? I asked.. already getting worried. I had a weird feeling creeping all over.

"Don't panic.. I'll be home soon."

"Wha _" and the call was disconnected.

Really?! Don't panic?! Who says that! Now I have every reason to panic! Goddamn it!

Mom should be home by now... where the hell is she!

I dialed her number and it wasn't connecting.

Of course!

It was already past eight when Jason finally walked into the house looking like he had seen a ghost.

I was sitting in the living room still wearing my uniform.

"Jason... what's wrong? Where have you been?" I asked my voice higher than I intended for it to be.

He winced at my tone and averted his gaze to the floor.
"Munchkin you need to be strong okay?" He said and I saw a tear fall down his cheek.