Scout: Prologue (and author's note)

(So this is an AU idea that I adore. I am going to try to do one for every merc if I can. I apologize for the short chapters, but I'm a busy person who doesn't even get to touch a computer most days [I use my tablet and phone to fill aformentioned void] and I am trying my hardest.)

(Also, I don't write Spy or Medic with their accents incorporated into their words. It throws me off.)

“So Ms. Pauling, did my ma ever call back?”

Ms. Pauling sat in front of the video screen, flipping through papers and organizing files, “Yes, she did, but- “

“So is she gonna come this weekend or not?” Scout leaned back in the office chair situated by the phone.

“Yes, she is, but she had-”

“Oh man, this is gonna be great! She’s gonna flip when she sees what I got planned-”

“Scout!!!”

“-What? What?!”

Calming down, Ms. Pauling grabbed a stack of letters sitting beside her, “Scout, your mom has been sending us your mail. Some of this stuff has been sitting there for almost 6 years.”

“6 years? Who the hell has been sending me mail for 6 years??”

“Does the name ‘Janet Donahue’ spark any memories?” She raised the letter up to the camera.

“Janet… hmm… I dated a Janet in high school, but that was… years ago.” he began to ponder; he hadn’t seen Janet since graduation, which was almost 7 years ago, “Did you read any of those letters?”

“No, but I can,” she tore open the most recent letter, a few small papers slipping out of the envelope. These weren’t just papers though, they were photos, “Um… Scout? I think you should look at these for yourself…”

“What? Why? What does it say?”

She held the largest of the photos up to the screen; it was a still of a young woman and a little girl both dressed in baseball uniforms. If memory served him, he could tell the older woman was Janet, but the girl…

“She says her name is Melissa,” Ms. Pauling put the photo down and looked at Scout once more, “Scout… That little girl is your daughter.”