Scout: Chapter 4

Pulling into the garage, Scout finally realized that the entire Red base was an extreme safety hazard. He’d been living there for years, but it wasn’t until he started thinking about his passenger that it dawned on him. They sat in the company vehicle for an extra few minutes while Scout wondered what to do.

He dialed up Ms.Pauling’s number on the car’s built-in phone, “Hey uh, can I get you to cover your ears?”

Mel unbuckled her seatbelt, “Um, sure… but why?”

“I gotta make a phonecall real quick.”

Reluctantly, the girl covered her ears before Ms.Pauling answered the phone.

“Scout, I’m in the middle of something-”

“I brought the kid to the base.”

“You WHAT?” Ms.Pauling dropped the shovel and ran up to the screen, “Are you crazy?!”

“I know, it sounds bad, but I didn’t know what else to do!”

“I can think of a dozen things you could’ve done!”

“I can’t change that now! Please just help me.”

Ms. Pauling sighed heavily, “Okay fine. You can probably sneak her in through the south hall. Cut through respawn and take her to Spy’s room.”

“What? Why should I take her to him?!”

“Who would you suggest?”

Scout went quiet, “Good point.”

“You think you can handle that? Because I have to go.”

“Wait, no-”

The video feed ended there,“Shit.”

Mel moved her hands and looked at him, “Who was she?”

“Ms.Pauling? She’s just a-... just a friend.”

Mel gave him a look, “Just a friend?”

“Look, it doesn’t matter!”

“You like her, though.”

“So what if I do?! She doesn’t like me back…” Scout pulled the keys from the ignition, “And I just don’t…- what am I saying? You’re like 6, what do you know about relationships?”

“7, actually,” she sat up straight and skimmed through her backpack, “And mommy’s had tons of boyfriends,” She pulled out a small photo album, “I took this from her room. It’s got pictures of all her boyfriends. Most of them didn’t like me very much, but they made mommy happy… well, for a little while.”

That little book had every page filled with men of all shapes and sizes holding Janet lovingly. Each one had a post-it note tacked to the photo with a start/end date and the reason they broke up. “Wow.”

“You can read it if you want. I don’t even think she knows I took it.”

Scout took the album from her and put it in his back pocket; it could come in handy, maybe have some tips on what not to do. It was kinda sad how smart this kid actually was, it reminded him of his childhood and how his ma had a new man over every weekend. Every time, he thought to himself, “Maybe he’ll be my dad this time!” but by the time they had left, he knew that wasn’t going to happen… no child should have to endure that.

“Why don’t we go inside?”

--

Knock, knock.

Knock knock knock.

KNOCK KNOCK

KNOCKKNOCKKNOCKKNOCKKNOCKKNOCKKNOCKKNOCKKNOCKKNOCK-

“Go away!”

“Spy, open the door! It’s important!”

Seething with anger, the Spy flung the door open, knife in one hand and crumpled papers in the other, “If you don’t walk away RIGHT NOW, I will-”

The Scout cleared his throat, gesturing to the young girl standing beside him.

“... What a PLEASANT surprise!” Spy wrapped him arm around Scout in a friendly embrace, “Is this the one you spoke so much about? I am so pleased to meet her.” he pulled him closer as if he were trying to strangle a rabid animal. The Spy whispered to the Scout, “I swear you will regret this.”

Scout smiled hesitantly, “Heh, well uh… This is uh, Melissa…”

Spy released his choke hold and extended his hand, “A true pleasure, Miss Donahue.”

“Uh… thanks…” She shook the taller man’s hand, a thousand questions racing through her mind.

“Spy, do you think you could let her just… hang out in your room? I don’t-”

“What? And keep her from meeting the other men? Nonsense!” he ushered the two down the hall, “I’m sure they’d be more than happy to make her acquaintance!”

Scout glared, “I hate you, Spy.”

“The feeling is mutual, my friend.”