Quick note about headcanon I am using

This is just a little insight that applies to the next chapter, I don't want to confuse anybody by describing a scenario that is affected by my headcanon and I don't mention what that headcanon is. So this is for you guys.

According to Mann Co.’s laws of life and death, respawn, teleporters, and uber charges only worked within the walls of a base owned by Mann Co.; any injuries or deaths outside these locations would result in permanent death or injury.

The mercs had found over the years that there were two loopholes within this mechanic.

1. If you were within at least 20 miles of any of the bases, you could still respawn and what have you.

2. If someone died outside of that 20 mile perimeter, their body could be brought back to base and they would respawn.

But there are no loopholes for injuries (which is why Demoman still has an eyepatch despite going through respawn several thousand times) outside this field. 

An injury implies something that would cause permanent damage to one's skeleton, organs and/or state of their body.

Examples:

If you lose a limb on the field, you could be healed and/or respawn and still have an arm. If it happened outside of the field, if you still have the limb in your posession, you can respawn with it if you return to base in time.

If you get stabbed in the stomach (on or off the field), you can be healed and still be fine and dandy. If it happened off the field, though, you'd still feel a weakness and sensetivity in your stomach and it would heal at a regular pace.

If you break a bone in the field, you're fine after being healed or respawning. Outside the field, you could heal the external scar, but the bone would be treated like normal.