Scout: Chapter 13

I apologize for the really short chapter, everyone, but I really just wanted to get it out. Enjoy, though!

It was almost 3 AM when Ms. Pauling and Scout went to the garage for drinks, 3:15 when Spy passed out. 6 AM, Spy found himself laid up covered in gauze and what appeared to be (dove) feathers only three or four feet away from his comrade’s sleeping daughter. His mask had been removed and set on the table beside him, he tried to reach for it with his ‘better’ hand; he stretched his right left arm across his chest, careful not to lean on his side. As expected, his attempt was both pitiful and futile. Come to think of it, he realized he wouldn’t even be able to put it on with one hand or even extend his arm far enough to try. Luckily, nobody was awake to see him unmasked and vulnerable.

“Mr. Spy…?”

I spoke too soon.

Melissa sat up, sporting an untamed look from Vogue magazine’s bedhead issue, and crawled out of her blankets and came to his side, “What happened to you…?”

In a lazy attempt to cover his face, Spy rubbed his eyes sleepily as he faced her, “I got in a car wreck...”

“But there are bullet holes in your shirt…”

“... after I got in a bar fight?” there was no way she was buying in to his pathetic story, “Ugh. Fine. I was doing something for a friend. Stealing something.”

She sat herself on the side of his bed, “But… stealing is wrong.”

He covered his face with his left hand, “I know, my dear, I know.”

She saw his mask on the bedside table and grabbed it, “... Why do you wear this thing?”

“It’s just part of the uniform.”

“But you wear it even when you’re not working…”

“Force of habit.”

She frowned; Melissa had been hoping for a more interesting answer, “Well I don’t like it.”

“We all have bad habits, child. We cannot help it.”

“... Well, your habits aren’t all that bad…”

If you only knew.

“I mean, stealing is bad… but wearing a mask isn’t bad… I don’t get why you want to, though.”

He paused, then sighed heavily moving his hand,“Nor do I.”

Melissa’s smile was now bigger than ever.

“What are you smiling about?”

“I made a secret spy reveal his identity!”

Spy smiled warmly, “That doesn’t happen every day, you know. I hope you are good at keeping secrets.”

She nodded, “Cross my heart, your secret is safe with me, Mr. Spy!”

“Please. Call me Casimir.”