13. cheaters

13. cheaters

Ciera

"Are you nervous?"

"Nope. I'm super excited to be running a track meet with a bunch of college scouts that could decide my future," I snapped at Maddie.

"Geez, chill," she retreated.

"Ugh, I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm just freaking out. The fact that Destiny is here doesn't help either."

Maddie whipped her head around. "What? Where? I swear if I come face to face with that bitch I'll—"

"You won't do anything," I cut off. "I'm serious."

"But you remember what she did at the last track meet!"

"Tried to do. But she failed, so let's not dwell on it. All I need to do is get rid of my nerves and I'll be fine." I cracked my neck and Maddie cringed. I kept forgetting how much she hated that sound.

"I'm going to go sit in the stands with everyone else." Maddie gave me one last smile and wave before running to meet with the rest. All of my friends were here, and even Camila had made it.

It was time to get rid of my doubts. I was a great runner. I got this in the bag.

"Hi, Ciera," I heard a sickeningly sweet voice say from behind me.

I spun around, putting a fake smile on my face. "Hey, Destiny. It's good to see you."

"I can't say the same for you." Then why'd you come over here?

I sat down and began to condition myself. "Do you want to stretch with me?" I offered. "I want this competition to be as fair as possible."

Be nice. Be nice. Be nice.

"I don't need to stretch with people who are not on my level of athleticism." Whatever, fuck being nice.

"Are you sure about that? Because last time I checked, Destiny, you were the one who wasn't on my level. I did beat you in the last track meet, right? You went as far as to try to sabotage me because you knew I was better. So think again before saying shit you can't back up, because you know it's the other way around." I stood and grabbed my water bottle, leaving Destiny and walking over to my coach.

"What does that girl have against you?" Coach Beth muttered.

"No idea, but I need to forget about her. There are college scouts I need to impress today."

"That's the spirit!" She gave me a high five.

A few minutes later I was at the starting line with my other competitors. Unfortunately, Destiny's lane was right next to mine. When the whistle blew to start, I took off. Destiny and I ran side by side, neither of us letting one get ahead of the other. During the last lap, I pushed myself as hard as I could, filling the burn in my lungs.

And then it happened.

I passed Destiny.

And then the finish line was right in my reach until the worst thing that could ever possibly happen to me happened.

I tripped.

Granted, it wasn't my fault, because I managed to see how Destiny's leg stuck out and got in my path. And I felt the way she shoved my shoulder.

But none of that could have prepared me for the tantalizing pain I felt when I landed on my left leg. Or the sound of the crack that came with it.

I didn't even realize I was crying until the hot tears blurred my vision. I wrapped my arms around my leg in pain and rocked back and forth.