02|My Little Girl

"Do you like them?"

Calla looked up from the sketchbook and large blank canvas on her bed, the two bedside table lamps causing her eyes to glow as she smiled.

"I love them. Especially the paints and brushes and sketch pencils." She responded in a light voice as I pushed myself off the door frame and slowly walked towards her.

As I sat on the bed, her little tan colored ankle biter of a Pomeranian growled at me, causing me to grimace before I turned my attention back to my niece.

"I'm glad. However, I have something else for you." I smiled as her eyes widened in curiosity.

"What is it?" She asked and I reached out to give one of her braided pigtails a teasing tug.

"Patience, Angel." I wink as I reach into my pants pocket and pull out the small heart shaped black velvet box.

"Jewelry? But Mama always says I'm too little and forgetful for diamonds hanging on me. She's scared I'll lose them." She informs me and I shake my head, opening the small box.

"Good thing this one doesn't hang. You don't have to ever take it off unless it needs to be cleaned and me or your parents can do that. Not you." I respond easily as she gasped at the small ring tucked inside the box.

A sterling silver diamond tiara that she had been eyeballing one day while we were walking around a local jewelers trying to find me a new chain in order to replace the one my father gave me as a child and had broken during a difficult time with a client.

"You got me the fairy ring!" She squeals loudly, launching her tiny self into my arms.

I hug her tightly, tucking my head into her wild hair. "You could've just gotten me this and I would've been happy, Uncle Ace. Thank you so much." She beams as she pulls back slightly, keeping an arm around my neck, her small hand clutching onto my shirts collar.

"Getting you one thing will never be enough for me." I laugh before taking out the ring and putting it on her right hands ring finger.

"Are you staying the night, Uncle Ace?" Calla asks softly, watching her ankle biter jump off the bed and go running out the door and down the hall.

"Of course, Flower. And if I'm not up in the morning feel free to attack." I wink as I stand up, her small body still in my arms.

Bending down I lay her gently onto the mattress, pulling back her covers in order for her to slip under.

Taking the canvas and other gifts from her bed and placing them against the wall beside her fairy nightlight, I sigh.

"Was work bad?" Calla whispers and I turn around to see her eyes drooping in exhaustion from the days events.

"Work was work, Flower." I respond, caressing her cheek before bending down and placing a kiss on her forehead.

"Sleep tight, Calla."

"Don't let the bedbugs bite." She smiles tiredly as I backed away to switch off her lamps before leaving the room and cracking the door closed.

Looking around the hallway, I shake my head before heading to the guest room where I took off my shirt and traded my pants for a pair of basketball shorts.

And right before I got into bed, my eyes landed on him.

The devil incarnate himself.

I narrow my eyes. "No."

Gio cocks his head to the side as I make a "shoo" motion.

"Go on. Bye Felicia." I press, yet all he does is sneeze before laying his head back down on my bed.

Growling in irritation, I grab a pillow and my phone and make my way out of the room and down the stairs to the living room where I decide to set camp.

Laying down on the long sofa, I sigh.

Stupid ass ankle biter.

Like hell am I going to share a bed with that thing.

And I'm not going to move it. That requires touching it. No thank you.

My eyes widen a fraction as I stare up at the ceiling. I was slowly turning into Lane Cullen.

Groaning, I throw my pillow on top of my face and lay there before hearing the pitter-patter of small feet coming down the steps.

"Uncle Ace?"

Taking the pillow from my face, I look over to see Calla standing next to me with a small frown on her face.

"Yes, Flower?"

"Can I sleep here with you? I don't want to be alone." She whispers and I nod, moving closer to the edge of the couch.

Smiling lightly she crawls over my body and wedges herself between me and the back of the couch, nuzzling her face up against my collar.

"Uncle Ace, when Greye gets here, I'll still be your flower, right?"

I look down at my niece who's eyes are looking up at me innocently.

"Greye?"

She nods.

"Yeah. My little brother. His names Greyson, but Mama calls him Greye. She likes him a lot. So does Daddy. But I don't know if I do. He's taking everyone away. He's not taking you away, is he?"

Calla's eyes glisten with tears as I place my hand on top of her head. "He's a big part of your life, Calla. You're going to need to protect him. No one else can. Not like you. I get Mama and Daddy give him a lot of attention, but that's because he's a baby and babies are different then really smart, talented girls like you. They need extra care. Yes, Greye will also be a big part of my life, but he'll never be a bigger part then you. You guys are equal now. I'm his Uncle Ace just like I'm yours. But," I continue, causing her to wipe her teary eyes. "One thing that will never change is you being my little Flower. You're always going to be my little girl. The superhero to my sidekick. We're in this together, Calla. I'm always going to be here for you and I'm always going to fight against those pesky boys that try to win your heart. Always."

She's smiles up at me before wrapping a small arm around my waist. "I love you, Uncle Ace."

Kissing her forehead, I smile and pull her close.

"I love you most, Calla."