03|Assistance From Pigs

"Did you here about the big house fire that happened last night? Poor woman lost her husband while he went in to search for victims in the fire."

I glance up from my phone as I hear my sister let out a small sniffle as she talks to Talon and I from across the table as we eat breakfast.

Her jade eyes are glossy and her cheeks are flushed a bright pink. Waterworks really weren't in my schedule today.

"Rose, all things happen for a reason. Besides, the man left a legacy." I try to reason and she clears her throat as she nods rapidly before wiping her eyes.

"Yes. Of course. You're right." She spoke lightly and Talon shot me a thankful look just as a knock sounded on the front door.

"What's up, Bit-" Aeros pauses with a bag held up in the air with wide eyes as he notices Calla eating cereal while watching some cartoon on her tablet beside me.

"I mean Babies. What's up, Babies?" He corrected himself with a sheepish smile as Rose, Talon, and I threw him a glare.

Calla raised her head up and rolled her eyes. "Can we not with the word babies?" She huffs before placing her spoon in the bowl and walking to the sink with her dishes.

"Calla, be nice." Talon scolded as she walked back over to the table.

"I'm always nice." She retorted before raising an eyebrow at Aeros. "Mine?"

He slowly glanced to the bag in his hand before handing it to her.

"Thanks, Uncle Aeros." She grins lightly before skipping off.

"I didn't know late meant that you'd be here the next day after the party." Rose spoke up and Aeros sighed, plopping down in Calla's abandoned chair beside me.

"I'm sorry, Rose. Work was crazy. You wouldn't believe the amount of stress and exhaustion that comes after firing someone." Aeros apologizes, though I take notice in the small smirk that takes place on his lips for a split second before he goes back to his normal, flat expression.

"I understand completely. Dealing with workers in Florida from here in New York is ridiculous." She scoffs, running a hand through her hair before she stands and places a kiss on Talon's cheek.

"I'll be in the office. English needs the files for the new project coming up."

We all watch as she walks out of the dining room before Talon turns to Aeros and I with a hard look.

"You killed that man. I can practically feel the giddiness seeping through the waves of tenseness in here." He huffs and Aeros grins wickedly, that dark spark in his light gray eyes as he leans forward.

"It was magnificent, Bales. You should've heard his useless pleads."

Talon rolls his eyes at Aeros' joyful state.

"You know I don't mind the whole killing bad guys thing. It's whatever. That's your problem and your family businesses but please pick farther places from here. We have a baby on the way and a toddler running around this house. Rose doesn't need this stress and your nephew and niece sure as hell don't either. They'll all find out one day, but wait until that day comes. Which isn't one that'll be coming up any day soon."

"Sure thing, Cap." Aeros mockingly solutes him, causing Talon to glare before smacking him in the forehead.

Aeros yells out as he falls back into the chair, causing it to tip over.

Talon smiles at me. "Have a nice day at work."

With that, Talon leaves and I sigh, walking around Aeros' body sprawled out on the floor and grab my bag from the dining room doorway before walking off into the living room.