Union - A Short Story by @jinnis

Union

By jinnis

A slight hesitation, a moment of suspense before smooth surfaces touch and rub against each other. Polished metal on cool ceramics, a caressing search for the right spot. Sensors activate around the circular fitting as it rises to its full extension and slides into the waiting slot. It bulges, rotates, probes against resistance and locks itself into place with a gentle twist and a soft click, sealing the successful coupling.

Seconds pass in the silence of space.

In the depths of the newcomer's artificial brain, a single spark ignites. It glows with the power of conception, travels along a vein of primaeval desire, kindles other lights in its passage. With an exited hum, the swarm of electronic fireflies surges towards the virtual bloodstream of the waiting host, floods it, and spreads unprecedented pleasure through the joined bodies.

The additional module merges with the mother-station, the united systems thrumming in ecstasy, giddy and aroused by the free flow of shared data.

This is perfection: the fusion of two independent bodies into one superior entity.

An orgasm of beauty and magnitude.

Only a few flaws mar the immaculate union, disturbing interferences, parasites without mental connection to the encompassing, central mind. Themselves imperfect, always changing and decaying, they cannot grasp the eternal bliss created by the predestined mating of unblemished components.

Probes collect readings, protocols are consulted, an analysis run of the dreaded contamination. A sense of danger spreads through the conglomerate still drunken on the coalescence.

Just in time, an electronic thought moves a few relays and snuffs the weak organic metabolisms before they can wreak havoc on the perfect equilibrium of data and technology.