Sapphic - A Short Story by @thisisRoy

"Greetings, Ms. Price," the automated voice of the elevator told her. "Welcome back to Earth, the oldest of civilizations!"

Welcome back to Earth? Sometimes Rachel Price wished there wasn't so much security around Valerie's house. Even the elevator voice knew her name, and that she'd just come back from off-world.

Grumbling something about the loss of privacy, Rachel took out a pocket mirror from her purse and flipped it open.

As the elevator lurched upwards, Rachel applied some more blush on her cheeks and readjusted her shoulder length brown hair. She wanted to look pretty tonight.

She was wondering if Valerie would like her dress when the elevator lurched to a stop, and the doors swept open.

Two men in suits stared at her, their eyes hidden behind black sunglasses.

"Your I.D., please?" the one on the left said in a robotically neutral voice.

"Do those glasses double as a Heads Up Display?" she responded.

They did, of course they did. They could see her I.D. in their glasses.

"Rachel Price?" the one on the right said. "Off-World Union News? The Valerie Jackson expose cover up was you?" This one was younger, perhaps thirty, and had a sense of admiration in his voice. Possibly he'd heard of her before. That was worse. He might gossip.

She nodded to him.

"I meant," the one on the left said, giving his partner a dirty look. "Your biological I.D., please."

Rachel pressed her thumb on a pad he presented to her, gave them both a waning smile and walked past them. She didn't mean to be rude, but she couldn't wait to meet Valerie.

*

The white corridors seemed endless in her urgency, with black suited men standing on every few steps, and a blue light which appeared on regular intervals to scan for any disease carrying bacteria she could be taking with her to Valerie Jackson, one of the slyest and most daring politicians their society had seen.

What no one knew was Val's relationship with Rachel Price. For the public, they were just associates. Even the guards thought she was just here for a private dinner with her.

But Valerie meant a little more to her than that.

Finally, she reached the door, painted a pearl white just like the rest of the corridor. She paused for a moment, flicking off invisible lint from her sky blue dress, hoping she'd impress her. Then she lost her control and opened the manual latch, peering into the large atrium inside.

Valerie stood by a huge floor to ceiling windows, staring out to a dark red sun setting beyond a deep blue sea. She wore something akin to a Greek toga, the sheer white fabric starting from her left shoulder, where it was held together by an azure brooch, and went all the way up to her knees, but left her back and right shoulder completely exposed. Her blond hair came up to her shoulders, barely touching the pale brown skin.

"Isn't that a bit scandalous for someone in your position?" Rachel said.

Val didn't turn, but she could almost feel her smile. "Darling, wearing this dress is the least scandalous thing I'm going to do tonight."

Rachel smiled, closing the door behind them.

"I thought I was here for a private dinner," she said innocently, sitting down on a pearl white sofa.