Chapter 28

On Saturday James and I headed over to the Mannings' house. I was so excited to see my equal, yet anxious at the same time. Maybe I wouldn't like what she had to say.

         It was an unusually warm late February day with temperatures in the low fifties. So, Dr. Manning planned on barbecuing. James rang the doorbell.

         "James!" Dr. Manning yelled happily. "Good to see you."

         I handed him a German chocolate cake I baked.

         "Hello," I said.

         "Well, look at you! You look beautiful," Dr. Manning said. He gave me a warm hug and had us all come inside. Oh, how much he reminded me of my father.

         I didn't wait for permission to look around the house for Sophia. I found her in the kitchen, preparing a salad.

         "Sophia!" I said.

         "Corrine, sweetie," Sophia said, wrapping me in her arms. She was warm and smelled sweet, like home during springtime.

         "Look at you. You look gorgeous," she said, stretching my arms out to take a look at me. I had put on a new flowing spring dress for the occasion.

         "Thank you. So do you. But you always look beautiful," I said, which she certainly did. She was gorgeous and tall and would look stunning even without makeup.

         The men were settling in the family room and talking a mile a minute. And they say women talked a lot. Dr. Manning was already mixing drinks, which piqued my interest. I hoped he would ask for my order soon.

         "So, what are our plans for today?" I asked her.

         "Well, I thought we would have a barbecue and try to eat out in the covered patio. I know it's still pretty cold out, but you've never seen our backyard. There's a gorgeous view of the lake from here, and Richard has already turned on the outside heaters."

         "Oh, that sounds perfect."

         "Corrine, how about you? Can I interest you in a drink?" Dr. Manning hollered into the kitchen from the bar.

         "Yes, please. Some wine would be great." Anything would be great.

         I helped Sophia with the last preparations, but she had most everything done before our arrival. Dr. Manning gave Sophia a kiss and then went outside with the steaks to start barbecuing.

         Their lives seemed out of a Norman Rockwell painting—a beautiful home, a seemingly perfect relationship, a nice lifestyle. If only people knew. I didn't see why I couldn't have the same. So that I could escape. 

         After the food was ready, we began carrying things onto the patio. I gasped. The view was so gorgeous. Sophia pointed out their lot. Their backyard had about half an acre of grass. A handful of pine trees lined their property line. Behind that was a crystal blue lake and a scattering of lake houses. There weren't any houses to the left or right of the Mannings' house I could see. Dr. Manning and Sophia had a big piece of paradise carved out just for them. Perfect for a kidnapping situation.

         "Sophia, I can't believe you live here," I practically whispered. "You're so lucky."

         "I think you're right," she smiled. "I don't take it for granted for a second."

         Lunch was a delight, and I had even more fun than I did at Thanksgiving. The conversation was flowing energetically. When I was around the Mannings, I felt like I was with intellectuals. (Albeit psychotic B.F.O. intellectuals.) I strived to be like them, and to be liked by them. Dr. Manning and James were intelligent, witty, and sophisticated. Conversations could involve politics, the news, literature, sports . . . nearly anything.