21 | Together We Stand

Demarcus stirred beside me for the hundredth time in the last fifteen minutes and let out an exasperated sigh

Demarcus stirred beside me for the hundredth time in the last fifteen minutes and let out an exasperated sigh. I rolled my eyes. He was the one who showed up to my dorm at an ungodly hour this morning, all bright-eyed and bushy tailed, when Daxson's flight wasn't even expected to land until nine. His growing impatience was only adding to my unsafe anxiety levels. I picked at my cuticles and focused on taking a few deep breaths.

Demarcus stretched his body out on the metal bench, propping the heel of his boot on my knee. "Man, white girl. I can't believe my brother actually went to the NFL combine. It's getting real."

I eyed his tan Timberland boot that was almost the size of my leg as he relaxed, placing his back on the bench.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the fact that Demarcus had reached some new level of trust with me, but there was a fine line between comfortable and disrespectful. At least, that's how I was raised.

"Do I look like a foot rest?" I shoved his boot back onto the floor with a loud thud.

Demarcus rolled his eyes and sat up. "You told me his flight landed at nine." His eyes dropped to his diamond encrusted watch. "It's ten-fifteen."

"Flights get delayed all the time." I shrugged. "If I knew you were going to complain, I would've left you at home."

His full lips formed an 'O' shape and his eyebrow arched. "Is everything okay? You seem a little more irritable than usual today."

I sighed and glanced out into the crowd of people gathered along the wall blinking with flight schedules. Daxson asked you not to tell him, Allyson.

"I'm fine. I just can't wait for your brother to get back."

Demarcus chuckled beside me. "A week without him. I'm surprised you made it that long."

I couldn't bring myself to look back at Demarcus, not after I lied to him. "Stay here, I'm going to check the schedule."

With a few quick steps, I'd left him on the bench and disappeared into the crowd. The more distance I put between us, the less lies I'd have to tell. No matter how many times I'd lied in the past, it never got easier. I tried to convince myself that I was protecting the people I was lying to, but I'd decided that was a really twisted way of looking at it. A lie was a lie.

I weaved through the bustling people in the airport to come to a stop at the edge of a crowd surrounding the towering wall of flight schedules. The blue screens flickered every few seconds with new updates. A squeaky voice echoed out through the terminal. I couldn't see the owner of the voice from my place between two foreign men with pointy elbows, but it didn't take long for the man with the high-pitched voice to weasel his way to the front of the crowd.

"I'm a priority customer, and I still can't get home without a delay for my connecting flight," he huffed, tucking his carry-on bag further beneath his arm.