21

Claire's POV

I woke from a deep sleep feeling disorientated and not knowing why. I sat up, reaching for the gun that wasn't there before remembering I couldn't keep it at this apartment. Taking a couple slow, deep breaths, I focused on letting my heart rate returning to normal.

I picked up my phone and realized what had woken me - Luke had texted me a long message and a picture of Tom's latest letter a couple minutes ago. He was one of the few people that had the ability to track my location through my phone; he must have seen that I was at my own place and decided it was safe to text it instead of sending it by Snapchat.

Rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I read it through quickly before turning on a special little device Jack had given me when I first started working undercover. It would temporarily neutralize any audio bugs in a twenty foot radius, allowing me to have conversations I normally wouldn't be able to as long as I was quiet. I couldn't use it often or whoever was listening would notice - but I needed to talk to Luke right now - and texting would take too long.

"Hey - I hope you were still up," I said when he answered on the first ring.

"I was but I didn't expect to hear from you tonight, Angel. Did you get what I sent you?"

"Yeah; you're damn lucky Kara already conned me into going to Megan's concert the same night as Tom or I wouldn't be able to help you out."

"Have I told you recently how much I adore you?"

"Kissing my ass will get you nowhere," I reminded him as I started packing an overnight bag. "I'm immune to your Windsor charm. Got something to write with?"

*      *

It was shortly after midnight when I stepped into Tom's room, locking the solid hardwood door behind me. Thankfully I'd always been able to see fairly well in the dark; that ability served me well as I skillfully navigating the creaky floorboards of the old townhouse.

I set my bag down by the bed and my phone on the nightstand before checking that the Beretta I'd hidden behind Tom's heavy wooden dresser was still there - and it was, exactly three steps from the bed. I'd have preferred to have it closer but he wasn't to know it was there, either.

Given this latest threat, I was just glad I'd had the foresight to hide at least one gun in Tom's room. Old habits died hard - and there were several other easily accessible small guns tucked away throughout the rest of the house as well.

I quickly stripped, amazed at just how deeply this man could sleep. He looked so peaceful, long limbs sprawled out across the large king-sized bed; the sheet barely covered his hips, leaving left his well defined abs bare, his lean arms up over his head.

I crawled into bed and settled myself closer to him, laying my head on his shoulder and my hand on his chest. Breathing in his uniquely irresistible scent, I let myself drift off to sleep, lulled by the warmth radiating off him; his slow, even breathing and steady heartbeat under my hand reassuringly peaceful.

*        *           *

Tom's POV

I gradually woke before my alarm - before the birds even. The faint predawn light was just beginning to overtake the horizon, lighting up my bedchamber and illuminating the blonde hair of the woman beside me. A smile curved my lips as I let myself drink in her beauty, inordinately pleased to see her. I wondered how long she'd been here since I hadn't even felt her climbing into bed - but in my defense I'd been knackered.

A sense of relief filled me that she really was here after all; she'd kept her word. Having neglected to inform her of my early start this morning, I'd already resigned myself to not being able to see her - and I hadn't thought she'd come today considering how hastily she'd left.