26

Claire's POV

In the space between heartbeats, everything changed. One moment, we were laughing and talking amongst ourselves in the backstage lounge; in the next, I was blowing my temporary cover. From the corner of my eye, I saw the glint of light reflecting off metal and turned my head just in time to see a man brandishing a wicked looking knife.

Ahh fuck! So much for a fun, relaxing night out with my lover and our friends.

"Get her out of here!" I yelled as I abruptly shoved Megan into Tom's arms and stepped in front of them, thankful that Luke and Kara weren't standing with us right now; neither of them were  the kind of people that were good in a crisis.

Ed's security guys were probably already coming for Megan, but I wanted Tom out of harms way, too - and I knew he'd do anything for Megan.

As I raised my arms to block and grab the man's wrist, I thanked my lucky stars that I'd decided to wear my leather cuff bracelets tonight; while they weren't my favorite metal reinforced ones, they would do in a pinch. I hissed as the sharp blade sliced through the leather and into my skin - fuck, that hurt!

I squeezed a pressure point hard to make him release the weapon - which he did - but he wasn't done fighting yet. His eyes were red-rimmed and his pupils were fully blown; I wasn't sure what drugs this guy was on, but I wanted him incapacitated ASAP.

When he attempted to punch me with his free hand, I kicked him in the side and then kneed him in the balls - but that did almost nothing. I used both hands to grab him by the hair and slam his face into my knee; I couldn't risk head-butting him and not taking him out. I felt a very satisfying crunch and he dropped like a rock then; I was pretty sure it was broken the way blood streamed from his nose.

"We'll take him from here, Detective Inspector," one of the security guys said. "Thanks for the assist."

"Where's Hiddleston?" I asked as I relaxed my stance and glanced around.

"Kevin had him taken to Miss Jones' dressing room," he answered promptly, gesturing over his shoulder. "Just down this hall, third door on the right."

"Just who the hell are you?" Zach Levi asked, catching my hand as I strode past him, mind on other things. "That was amazing!"

"I'm still Claire...but I'm also known as Detective Inspector Kingsley," I sighed, giving him a once over; he looked like he was perfectly fine. "You all right, Zach?"

"Yeah," he nodded dazedly. "So you and Tom?"

I snorted. "Not really the time for that particular conversation, Levi."

"No, I suppose it's not."

I went up on my toes to press a kiss to his cheek, feeling him inhale sharply as I did so. "Be safe; I need to find Tom and Luke."

* * *

Tom's POV

Time crawled by as Luke and I waited for Claire and Kara, the sheer amount of racket coming from what should be a secure hallway making me concerned. I lost track of how many times the handle was jiggled or someone pounded on the door, attempting entry.

Therefore when Luke promptly threw open the door upon hearing a sequenced knock, I wondered who was there...and how he knew that was the correct ditty.

I let out a sigh of relief when Claire stepped inside, closing the door behind herself. "Are you guys okay?" she asked, looking from me to Luke.

"We've been better," Luke sighed. "But we're okay."