Devils Don't Fly

(Note: Since I retyped this by hand I ended up editing as I went, so details are slightly different from the original.)

Nico glanced back at the people around the campfire, memorizing every detail of the scene, the ache in his stone-encrusted heart growing as he turned away. They didn't need him. Not Leo, not Piper, not even Hazel. Not even Will. Especially not Will.

He wouldn't be their problem anymore.

Nico was so sure no one would miss him that he missed a highly concerned look from a certain son of Apollo.

Will wasn't sure why he was so worried about Nico- more worried than usual, anyway. Was it the defeated slump of his shoulders, or the finality in his step? Was it his bowed head after an unusually cheerful evening, or was it that he actually said 'Goodbye,' not goodnight, goodbye, in a voice filled with sorrow and regret?

Will was not the kind of person to let his worry go as unfounded.

He excused himself as quickly as he could, eyes never leaving Nico's slumped form as it retreated. "I gotta go, guys." The others laughed, oblivious. "Gonna finally kiss him?" teased Percy. Will blushed, but couldn't laugh. 

Nico didn't notice Will following him, but when he passed beneath the shadow of the cabins the darkness wrapped around him and he vanished.

Will cursed under his breath. I told him not to shadow-travel! 

Fortunately, Will knew when Nico went when he was upset. He could only hope he wasn't too late.

Will picked up the pace and ran into the forest, heedless of monsters he might wake. He slowed as he approached, suddenly, afraid of what he might see. But what he heard was so much worse. Will's heart skipped a beat.

Nico was crying.

"Nico?" Will called hesitantly. "Go away!" Nico sobbed, not looking up. Will sat next to him, worriedly noticing the sword Nico clutched desperately in both hands. 

Will wrapped an arm around Nico and said nothing. They stayed like that for some time, Will waiting, Nico crying.

"Why?"

Will was startled. "Why what?"

"Why do you stay?"

Oh, Neeks... He had to say it. Will took a deep breath. "Because I love you."

Nico looked up, eyes empty and broken. "How? I..." He shook his head and looked away. 

Will's heart broke. 

He remembered their old way of sharing feelings and pulled out a phone and headphones, offering them to his friend. "Show me?"

Nico looked surprised, but almost smiled. He unlocked it easily and searched a moment before offering Will one of the earpieces.

I heard the angels call again
I threw myself a party
Chardonnay and oxy
I stopped the screams inside my head
I remember when you had me
Floating high like Sid and Nancy

They say it's not the answer but I can't carry on
'Cause I got nowhere, no one, without you boy I'm done
And when I'm gone, remember you're the one
And just because I fight don't mean that I never learned how to love

Will was touched, but his concern was growing by the moment. Suicide songs weren't exactly a good sign.

[Chorus:]
You know devils don't fly (fly, fly)
So don't expect me not to fall
Devils don't fly (fly, fly)
But God we almost had it all
But I got chains and you got wings,
You know that life ain't fair sometimes
Devils don't fly (fly, fly)
But I try.

Will looked over at Nico, tears blurring his vision, but Nico refused to meet his gaze.

What's a girl to do when she's not strong
When everyone that holds my hand
Gets cut from all the thorns
I used to put my ear against the wall
To hear the screams, to hear the fall
More reasons to escape it all

And it's not the answer but I can't carry on
I give my best smile, my last dime
But I'm always getting wrong
It's not 'cause I'm young or from a broken home
Maybe I just fight 'cause I don't know where I belong

Will squeezed Nico's shoulder, not sure what else he could do.

[Chorus:]
You know devils don't fly (fly, fly)
So don't expect me not to fall
Devils don't fly (fly, fly)
But God we almost had it all
But I got chains and you got wings,
You know that life ain't fair sometimes
Devils don't fly (fly, fly)
But I try.

Angels were never meant to fall
And you were the loveliest of all
If I thought God could fix it
I'd pray for your forgiveness
But I've been cast down, thrown out
When I crossed to the other side

No devils don't fly!

[Chorus:]
You know devils don't fly (fly, fly)
So don't expect me not to fall
Devils don't fly (fly, fly)
But God we almost had it all
But I got chains and you got wings,
You know that life ain't fair sometimes
Devils don't fly (fly, fly)
But I try.

But I try.

Will opened his mouth to speak, but couldn't think of what to say. He had known Nico hurt, of course, but this was bad. He understood why Nico had come here, why he'd been acting strangely all day. 

Will's heart shattered into thousands of tiny pieces, all trying to heal this broken, beloved boy.

"So... Does that mean you love me too?" Will teased weakly. 

Nico gave a choked laugh. "Yes, you moron!" Will laughed, and he didn't expect Nico to grab his face and kiss him.

Nico drew back, face flushed an adorable bright red. "S-sorry," he mumbled. 

"No! It's cute!" Will laughed and booped Nico on the nose, making him flush brighter. Nico ducked him head, smiling. Will was pleased.

"Now..." Will looked serious. "What was the one thing I told you not to do?" Nico looked guilty. "Shadow-travel..."

"And what did you do?"

"...shadow-travel..."

They laughed and joked- or Will did, but he could tell Nico was happier. They almost managed to forget why they were there, or even where they were.

Until they heard a roar.