Chapter One: Meeting A Monster

You stood before your new boss in a dimly lit office. Thin lines of dusty sunlight filtered in through the slits of the horizontal blinds, casting ominous streaks over his black suit with purple accents. The tall, imposing man sat behind a large desk, which was cluttered with various clunky electronics, which were emitting an uncomfortable low frequency hum.

Scattered about the room, partially built endoskeletons seemed to stare at you from every angle and pin you in place. The nerve-wracking silence was only interrupted by the rickety spin of a metal fan, that only blew around the stifling hot air, and the sound of your own heart pounding with uncertainty.

"I was looking over your resume." William Afton said lackadaisically in a deep voiced British accent, looking uninterested at the single sheet of paper and rubbing his fingers on the corner to see if another page was stuck to it that he missed and turning it over to inspect the back.

"It was a rather brief read." He said with mock surprise and raised a brow at you while taking a long sip of coffee.

You stood there as he took his time and watched you, trying to stay composed and keep your shoulders and lip from quivering from both nerves and the irritation welling inside to what he was implying.

"I have a vocational certificate in mechanics." You interjected to defend yourself, unable to stand the sound of the desk fan anymore.

He sets down his ceramic cup with a sound that echoed throughout the room.

"Were you afraid I'd missed that?" He smirked. "I suppose it is difficult to find someone with a PHD is robotics in this small town...." He glanced over at the two degrees hanging on the wall as he spoke. "You'll find that animatronics are very different than cars or factory equipment." His eyes shifted back over to yours and they were cold with a steel resolve, before coldly adding,

"If you're not careful, you could easily die." His words fell heavy and with an icy honesty that sent chills down your spine.

"Mr. Afton, why exactly did you call me into this office?" You tried to look stoic and keep your voice from wavering.

"To figure out why Henry hired you." He replied. "I see now it's just his nature to give to charity." The snake-tongued man taunted in a way that made his insult sound like reciting poetry.

This sent a jolt of fury through you, making you feel hot and unable to keep from trembling with rage.

"You know, its been proven that negative reinforcement does not motivate people." You glared at William with disdain. "I don't care if you are my boss. I don't have to work here and take this from you. I am doing you a favour by working here and I could quit." You said fiercely.

William let out a chuckle and gave you a smug smirk. "And go where?" He waved the resume at you. "Don't worry about staying around at a job you hate for too long, y/n. If you don't work up to my standards, I'll fire you soon enough. You're dismissed."

You turned heel to storm out of the office enraged.

"Oh and do be careful." He purred after you.

You looked at him surprised, recalling how he'd mentioned the risk of injury and possibly death. "I will, thank you."

He seems pleased by your softened expression.

"Those animatronics are worth more than your annual income so take care not to damage them." He finished with a point blank tone and your anger welled back up.

With that, you briskly left the office and got as far away from him as you could. You snapped your head around to find someone until you saw the janitor sweeping near the stage. You marched over and he looked up concerned by your furious aura.

"Where's Mr. Emily?" You said, trying not to take it out on him, but seething through your teeth nonetheless.

He said nothing, quickly and silently pointing backstage.

"Thanks." You said sincerely, but it came out sounding accidentally harsh.

You found Henry at the end of a winding hallway, in the parts and services room. He was a homely man in a green flannel shirt with unkempt long hair and a bushy beard. He was leaned over a workbench tinkering. You took a deep breath, attempting to calm down.

"Excuse me. Mr. Emily? Sorry to bother you. Do you have a moment?" You asked.

He didn't seem to hear you, continuing to work, so you moved closer and into his line of sight, hoping he'd take notice and waited patiently. You inspected what he was crafting. Right now it just looked like a formless mass of wires. He reached for a tool near you and looked up, noticing you for the first time.

"She likes bunnies." He told you as if you should know exactly that he's talking about. "Don't tell her, but this one will be for her." He placed the tool into the mass and began tightening something.

"Sorry, but, who do you mean?" You asked, wanting to keep your end of the deal and not mention it.

"You haven't met my daughter, Charlie?" He set down his work, turning his full attention to you with a sparkle in his eyes. "She's playing right over there." He motioned to a corner of the shop. "She's gotten so big. Isn't she cute?"

You looked to see if someone might be hiding, but all you saw was an unfinished robot propped up on a tripod. He walked over to it and pet its cheek.

"Charlie, this is y/n." He motioned. "The new mechanic. Say hello."

The robot just stared at you and Henry gave a light-hearted laugh.

"She's so shy. You know how children are." He smiled warmly to you.

"Indeed..." You say quietly, trying to keep the concern out of your tone.

"Was there something you needed?" He asked, returning to the workbench.

You paused. Henry didn't seem like he would be much help in this situation. "...An assignment." You forced a smile. "Anything you need worked on?"

"Actually, yes." He bent down and pulled out a battered cardboard box. "Could you please put safety straps on all of the rides?"

"Of course, Mr. Emily." You smile and accept the box.

As odd as that interaction was, it at least distracted you long enough to overcome your boiling rage. You dutifully set about the task, on hands and knees, and begin to fasten down the ball pit and other kiddie rides.

You're just about out of safety straps when the lights in the pizzeria darkening interrupt you. There's a special birthday performance starting with an exclusive light show. You're momentarily dazzled by it when a tall, blackened form casting a shadow over you blocks your vision.