Chapter Two: Close Quarters in the Hidden Room

"Enjoying the show?" William asked with a smile, but the look in his eyes was clearly displeased.

"Oh yes, your pant leg is extremely entertaining." You say in a deadpan tone, trying to hide your wry smirk. "Don't worry, I have a flashlight. I'll get the work done and move on to the next task. Next, I'm going to go clean up parts and services, since there's nothing else to do."

"Being that this is your first job, you're obviously unaware that I decide your routine. The yellow bulb is not turning on for the light show. The audience hasn't noticed yet, so go repair it and do it quickly. You have five minutes. That should give you plenty enough time to make mistakes." He said smugly.

"Oh, how ever shall I change a simple fuse? There's so many wires and circuits under there, you and your two fancy doctorate degrees should show a simple minded dunce like me which is which?" You put on a sugar sweet tone hinted with sarcasm, batting your lashes at him.

William calmly smirked back, unfazed. "You are incapable of even doing a simple electrical repair?" He spouted condescendingly.

"Well, like you said, it's so complicated, Mr. Afton. I only have a half page resume and surely someone as well educated as you could show someone who's so inferior the correct way to go about it." You said sarcastically while maintaining an innocent expression.

"Very well." He headed to the stage in long strides that you could barely keep up with unless you hurried. "I'm only going to show you once, so attempt to pay attention."

He crouched down and opened a small hidden door and ducked inside. The space under the stage was cramped with a ceiling so low that one could only sit and it was lined with screens and control panels.

Feeling victorious, you jog to keep up with his long legs, holding in a giggle when you see this giant try to stuff himself in such a tiny space. You, however, have no difficulty getting inside. You have to press up against him rather intimately to actually see what he's doing over his shoulder.

William removed the lid of the control panel revealing a sea of tangled various colored wires. Fascinated by the seemingly endless buttons all around, knobs and levers, you absentmindedly move your foot that was propping open the door and the door snaps shut, sealing the two of you inside.

Immediately, you hear William swiftly turn to you in the darkness, barely making out his cutting look that's inches away from your face.

"Why did you close the door?" He said, both frazzled and annoyed.

"Why would I leave it open? What if some child had tried to come inside?" You held your ground.

"Imply one didn't already?" He off-handedly calls you childish. "There's a light switch over by the door. I'd have to climb over you to reach it."

You ignore his remark, searching for the switch using only the faint glow of the monitors. You flip it up and the lights come on, illuminating the complex circuits. "Henry worked hard on all of this..." You observe.

William seems to be grimacing at the mention of Henry.

"Are you alright, Mr. Afton?" You wonder about the sudden scowl.

"You'd better pay closer attention to the task, rather than me." He quips. "And for the record, Henry may have built this, but I improved it vastly. His initial design was simplistic and rudimentary compared to what its capable of doing now." He said bitterly while adeptly switching out the correct fuse among the plethora of choices. He taps a monitor, looking intently at you.

"Watch this." He replaces the panel and his hands fly over the buttons rapidly, causing the animatronics to do an elaborate dance. "Henry couldn't have done that." He smiled complacently.

You look at him in amazement, and murmur in your star struck state, "Please, teach me how to do that."

He turned around so you are nearly nose-to-nose, his unwavering gaze is trained intensely on your eyes.

"Perhaps another time." He said plainly, reaching his arm over your shoulder and opening the door.