Chapter Four: Near Death Experience

"Good evening, Henry." William addressed the scruffy man, with a far friendlier demeanor than you'd expect after the way he had acted beneath the stage.

Henry smiled and rolled down his window, sticking out his head. "Evenin' yourself, William." He said with his lame sense of humor.

William only gave a charming smile back. "How's the misses?"

Henry looked sheepish. "Still traveling abroad. Seeing the country, I wouldn't wonder." He said with a smile and hint of melancholy.

William smiled back with no change in his sudden golden charm, yet underneath the surface, it felt too rehearsed. "Let's throw a party for her, when she returns." He said gregariously.

"I'd like that." Henry said wholeheartedly.

You ignored most of what they said, still rather miffed Afton called you off the clock, when there was so much to do with poor Henry. As you approached, William held open the door.

"I like this new you. So approachable and inviting." You smirked at William, walking past him into the pizzeria. "The old saying goes: you catch more flies with honey than vinegar."

"Bait is for setting traps. That insinuates you wait. Truly, you catch more by hunting." William said smoothly with a menacing undertone, closing the door behind him.

"You don't intimidate me, Mr. Afton." You cast him a bored, unimpressed expression, turning your back to him.

"Being non-threatening is my specialty." He purred, following closely behind you. "You wouldn't believe what I get away with."

"Enough of this nonsense. What's the real reason you have me out here, Mr. Afton?" You interrogate while heading to the very back of the store, methodically turning off the lights and taking your sweet time so he could answer.

William is silent, studying you carefully. "I wanted to warn you." He said solemnly. "You should know: Henry's wife left him 2 years ago. A little while after his little girl died and he became obsessed with his own denial to the point of ignoring his still living son. He's not a good person and he's alone because he deserves it." He sneered. "Why would you want to spend time with someone so pathetic that he'd abandon his own family?" William scoffed with distaste.

"It's very obvious from your tone you're not protecting him. You're also not doing him any favors by encouraging his behavior." You accuse. "Even if he is a bad person, he's a good person to me." You say resolutely. "I wouldn't take advantage of someone in such a state, if that's what you're worried about." You smirk and spin to turn off another light switch.

"You think you have me figured out, do you?" William leaned over you with a sincere smile. "As if you know my motives or intentions." He looked entertained. "Do you think of yourself as some sort of Psychologist? Is that why you're treating Henry like a patient? Do you actually believe that you could repair a broken mind?" He ridiculed.

"Maybe not, but this man wants help. He's asking for it, and I'm answering." You said brazenly.

Fed up with this game of his, you head for the exit, grateful he does not follow you. However, once out of his sight, something in the other direction catches your eye.

You notice a thin outline of light on a wall between two doors. You didn't remember there being a room here. More importantly, you didn't want to get blamed again for leaving lights on, so you gave a push to see if it would open.

The door swung in. Now bathed in light, it didn't look any different than the wall in appearance. It seemed Freddy's was full of hidden rooms.

Curious, you peered inside. You immediately wished you hadn't.

Four terrifying monsters towered over you, with maws of jutting razors and fingers tipped in blades.

All at once they surged at you with electrical shrieks.

Before you could even flinch, they powered down, four sets of arms just inches from on from nearly all angles, still twitching with residual charge.

William was leaning overtop of you, with a remote in hand aimed at the twisted nightmare animatronics. "Did you forget which way the door was? I can hold your hand so you don't get lost~" He smirked down at you.

Your flashlight chatters to the floor as you gulp down the scream still trapped in your throat. You look up at William, tears in your eyes, wondering how he could be so calm right now. "The...the light... was on..."

You step away from the room full of horrifying monstrosities. "What... are they?" You ask in a small voice.

"Prototypes." William says evenly, watching you closely.

You swallow. "What are they for?"

A genuine smile twitched in the corner of William's mouth and spread wide. "What do you think we build animatronics for?" He replied with that upbeat, theatrical tone.

"They're for the children."