Chapter 2. New Lease on Life

Richard, after staring at the stars for a moment, looks back at the bear. "Did you say you did not have a name?"

The bear nods, biting into another piece of meat.

"Do you want a name?" Richard asks.

The bear looks up from his meal. "Are you going to go crazy again?"

Richard shrugs. "I will promise not to try to attack you again."

"Fine, give me your best try at a name." The bear says.

Richard thinks for a moment, then looks back up. "How about Bernard? In my world, it means bear, brave, and hardy."

The bear looks at himself for a moment. "I am far from brave, but I am hardy." The bear smiles. "I'll take it!"

"Okey, Bernard, I can't die, I am very strong, and I am stuck in this world. What the hell do I do now?" Richard asks.

Bernard looks curiously at Richard. "What would anyone do? Explore, make some friends, maybe....."

"Find the strongest person in this world and see if I can die?" Richard interrupts.

Bernard puts his paw over his face with a heavy sigh. "Why are you so hung up on dying even after saying you can not die?"

"I... deserve to die." Richard hangs his head. "I hurt so many people, in my world, when I threw myself off that roof. I... abandoned my love. I was..."

"Selfish?" Bernard interrupts.

Richard looks angrily at Bernard and then turns his head away with a sad expression. "Yes.."

Bernard slowly and cautiously takes another bite, keeping his eyes on Richard. "So?"

Richard remains silent, deep in thoughtful regret.

"Okey, look, you promise not to attack me like an idiot?" Bernard asks.

"Sure..." Richard waves his hand.

"Then I will introduce you to this world. It is not uncommon for a ranger to be accompanied by an animal companion." Bernard smiles.

"Is it uncommon for said animal to talk?" Richard asks, trying to be a smart ass.

Bernard thinks. "I imagine it is always a possibility."

Richard pulls out the map and begins to examine it again. "So I began in Havensroust, waking up in a field near a dirt road. An older man on a wagon said I was south of the Aldermen Empire."

"More specifically you were in the southern region of the Aldermen Empire. Havensroust is a small town under Aldermen control, but the knights rarely come for visits." Bernard asks.

"How far have you traveled?" Richard asks.

Bernard chuckles. "All over! As far north as Karnale, south to Frihane, west to about Jite, and east to the border to the Germainian Empire."

"Germainian? Like German?" Richard asks.

"I don't know what you mean by 'German', but they are an odd bunch. All the empires are stuck up, thinking they are the best, but the Germainian Empire keeps to itself, barely trading or talking to anyone outside their borders." Bernard answers.

"That sounds different, but just in case let's avoid them, for now." Richard says.

"No argument there. Perhaps Milham would be a good start." Bernard says with a smile.

"Sounds homey! Maybe I can get a better weapon than this dagger." Richard pulls out the dagger. Richard puts it away and thinks. "Where is that on the map?"