Measure 11

~ Measure 11 ~

   Two weeks came and went, and I finally got a call saying that they had found an oncologist.  The meeting was set up for that Monday at eight in the morning, to discuss what the next steps were to get dad on the track to recovery.

   I don't believe that it was a promise when they said they would get dad on track.  I tend to believe it was faith. 

   We didn't have much of anything else at this point.

   I also got a call from Cameron right after school while sitting in my car.  He told me that he had work tonight, and when I asked why, he said that he was serious when he said that people were watching me. 

   “There are several soldiers out there who want to find me, Emily.” he said.

   I didn't say anything, so he continued.

   “They think that the best way to get to me... is through the people who are in my life.  And the most important is you.”

   “So there are soldiers after me?” I asked.

   “They've called a plan at the hotel tonight.  They've planned to visit your room, and...”

   “Kidnap me?”

   “Yeah.”

   “So you need to take them out.” I said.  Personally, I shouldn't have believed it.  Instead, I tried this.

   “Hey babe?” I asked.

   “Yeah?”

   “Can you at least come visit when your done?  I want to see you.”

   “That's going to be a little hard, Emily.  It's an undercover mission.”

   Bullshit.

   “Then... can you leave a note for me while I'm asleep?  Leave it by my bed on my nightstand.” I said quietly.  That would prove it to me if I locked everything but the window, 8 stories up.

   “I sure will try.” he whispered gently.

   We were both silent. 

   “Emily?”

   “Yeah?”

   “I love you.”

   I was rendered speechless.  Oh my God, Emily.  He's fallen in love with you.  Is he lying?  You've only been together for a month and a half.  You're screwed now... Why would you let it get this far...?