Measure 23

~ Measure 23 ~

   I rushed into the hospital room to find that Dad’s cancer was coming back.

   And this time, it was terminal.

   The doctor was out in the hall when I was going to the room to see him. 

   “Why didn’t you say anything earlier?  How long does he have left?” I demanded.

   The doctor gave me a sad look and shook her head.  “I’m sorry, Miss Ashton.  This may be his last ride.”

   I felt my heart shatter.  I realized that up until this point all of the bad things have just been cracks.  And this was the sledge hammer to my heart.  It was done for.  It shattered.

   “We’re sending him home with you.” she said, “Good luck, Miss Ashton.”

   Mom left to gather up his things in the hotel room and check him out.  I made my way in.

   “Daddy?” I whispered.

   He was so pale.

   “Baby girl.” he said quietly, “Come… sit.”

   I did as told and grabbed his hands.  “You’re going to be okay.  We’re going to bring you home tonight and tomorrow you’re going to wake up.  You’ll do the same thing every day after that, I promise.”

   He shook his head slowly.

   “You’ve… got to understand.” he said, “That it’s going to be soon…”

   “No,” I whispered, “No…”

   I laid my head down beside of him and cried.  It was all a matter of waiting.  Eventually mom came to get us and drove us both back to the house.  She got him situated in the guest bed and covered him up.  She kissed his forehead.

   “I’m sorry, Michael.” she whispered, wiping a tear from her cheek.

   Mom went to stay with Andrew for the night, leaving me alone with Dad. 

   I sat with him every minute.  We talked about anything and everything.

   He told me he loved me.  I said I loved him too.

   He said he hopes that I follow my dreams.  I said I’ve been chasing them for miles.

   He said he wants to play the piano again…

   “I know you miss it.” I said, “You were always so good at it.”