Measure 12

~ Measure 12 ~

   “I bet its tough staying at the hotel for so long.  It must be costing a fortune.”

   Holly was right.  It was costing dad a lot.  It was a lot of that money he could be using to pay for surgeries and medication. 

   “So what are you going to do?” she asked.

   I took a sip of my coffee as I shrugged.  The coffee shop was a cozy little place to spend the day and relax.  I watched the snowflakes falling from the sky softly from my stool by the window.  It was Valentine’s Day, and I was meeting Dad in a half hour to drive to the hospital to discuss the next step in his treatment plan.  Later, I was meeting Dylan for lunch, and Cameron for dinner. 

   Dylan had become a very good friend to me, even in the short time we had spent together.  He understood me well enough to calm me down.  He made me feel safe, and happy.  That was something that Cameron could never give me. 

   That’s why I planned to break up with Cameron tomorrow.  I’d give him today, and then I’d cut him loose.  Seeing how Dylan treated me, it made me see that I deserved better.  And that’s what I’d be going after.

   “I’m not sure.  I don’t really have anywhere else to go besides the hotel.  I’m only working a minimum wage job at the mall.  It doesn’t help with much.” I said. 

   “I know how you feel.  I’m working two.” she said, “All while staying in a different hotel outside of town.  I’ve been apartment hunting lately, but all the things I’ve found, I can’t afford on my own.”

   I smiled suddenly.  

   “Unless…” I said.

   “Unless what?” she asked.

   “Unless we work together.”

   Holly gasped. 

   “You mean it?” she beamed, “You’d be my roommate and help me with all of this?”

   I nodded.  Tears started brimming in her eyes.

   And then she laughed.

   “Oh, Emily,” she said, “I don’t know what to say.”

   “Then don’t say anything.  How about we go on Friday?  We’ll check out a few places and see if we can get a loan set up.  It’s going to be great.” I said.

   “No,” she whispered, wiping a tear from her cheek, “It will be perfect.  Thank you.”