Chapter six

Neytiri looks shocked, then angry

"Why me? That's-" But Mo'at cuts off her rant. "It is decided!" Neytiri subsides, turning to glare at Jake.

"My daughter will teach you our ways. Learn well, Jakesully. We will see if your insanity can be cured."
She turns to Neytiri, her expression stern. "He is your responsibility."

Neytiri nods, accepting her fate, but she's not a happy camper. She set me gently on the ground. "Go help with dinner." She said softly brushing my hair out of my face. I nodded and ran over to one of the females who helped make dinner. Me and two other young children were jumping around her feet as she was walking to help prepare dinner.

  Jake now wears only a ratty loincloth. His wounds are bound with plant-fiber bandages. The entire clan is squatting at dinner in a huge circle. I'm sitting next to Tsu'tey. He told me he didn't want me going near the dream walker because he's 'dangerous'. If only he knew. Jake is probably the least dangerous thing on this planet. Compared to them he's just a giant child.

Ever since Eytukan said Neytiri will raise me like her own he has become slightly fatherly towards me. I asked Neytiri why and she said it was because they were going to be mated which means that when they are mated i will be like his 'daughter'.

I'm pulled out of my thoughts when everything got silent. Looking up I realized everyone stop talking and turn to gaze at Jake as he enters the circle.

"Don't get up." He says awkwardly.
Neytiri crosses the circle and took several large leaves heaped with food and placing the food in front of jake.

I looked at the weird larvae that was in front of me. I tapped Tsu'tey.
"Do you want my food? I'm full." Tsu'tey shrugged and slid my leaf towards his. I stood up and me being my short human self i am still shorter than everyone even when they're squatting.

I walked over to Jake silently ignoring the protests of Tsu'tey. I stepped over tails careful not to do what Jake did. When i got to him, Jake still didn't realize i was behind him. A few adults were watching us closely, ready to defend their chief's, daughter's adopted child if needed. I put my small hand on his bicep.

His head whipped around, "Ella? My gods everyone is so worried." Jake pulls me into the tightest hug I've ever felt. Hugging him back i felt my tears drip onto his shoulder. "Jake i was so scared that I wouldn't see you again."

He pressed a small kiss on the side of my head and pulled back. Taking my head in his hands he examined me for any injuries. "You're so lucky I can't get mad at you." He said pulling me back to his chest making me giggle. "But I think you should go back to Mr. Grumpy Pants over there." He nodded towards Tsu'tey who was fuming. "He looks like his head is going to explode."

I giggled and gave Jake one more hug. I skipped over to Tsu'tey who pulled me towards him, my back against his chest. He held me against him protectively while glaring at Jake.

"TeyTey thats my best friend Jake. He saved me from bad sky people."
Tsu'tey only replies with a grunt and continued eating. Huffing at his refusal to speak i crossed my arms and turned away.

By the end of the meal i was exhausted. Tsu'tey still held me but slightly less protectively and more just to keep me comfortable. I leaned my full weight onto him and it didn't even effect him. How strong are these people?

Neytiri seemed to notice my eyes getting droopier by the minute because she walked over to us. "Tsu'tey, Ella seems to be tired. It is time i show her where we sleep." He nodded and stood up allowing her to be able to take me from his arms.

When i was in the bad place I never knew if it was day or night. I would always take short naps whenever i could. So I never really had a proper sleeping schedule.

Taking me from Tsu'tey she spoke to me, "come on sweet girl, you'll sleep with me." She wrapped one arm under me and the other goes and cradles my head close to her heart. I've never felt this much love before.

"Okay mama." I was too tired to realize I called her mama but she noticed. Hugging me closer to her warm body she grabbed Jake by the arm and led him to where I assumed we would be sleeping. I fell asleep to Neytiri's heart thumping in my ear.

——————

I woke up to movement. I groaned and latched onto whoever i was sleeping with. Hearing a chuckle I groggily open my eyes. Through the bleariness of my sleep filled eyes i can make out the face of Neytiri.

Neytiri smiled at me and lifted me out of the net. Setting me on the branches of the great tree she does a hand signal, "I see you."

Smiling tiredly I replied, "I see you." I replied, looking over at Jake who was still sleeping in his weird hammock.

I moved closer to Neytiri once I noticed how high we were off the ground. I've never been this high before. "Whats wrong?" I hear her ask but I'm too nervous to think, instead i lift my arms up so she can pick me up. I trust her footing and abilities way more than i trust mine.

She lets out a noise that sounds like a scoff and laughter before lifting me into her arms. I wrap my arms and legs around her so she doesn't have to hold me.

~

Once Neytiri gets to the bottom level she puts me down. I wiggle my toes in the moist dirt. Looking around i spot one of the females who got me clothes telling a story about Toruk Makto older kids sitting around her.

I tiptoe over to them and listen to the thrilling story. "—I was learning to climb when i saw Toruk!" The other kids looked at her in awe. The female paused and looked at me and the other young child sitting next to me. A mischievous smile spread across her blue face. "The great beast swooped down and plucked a pali right off the ground." The female flapped her arms before racing at a girl and plucking her right off the ground. "Toruk gobbled the pali up right in front of me."

The female started tickling her and I smiled at the interaction. She let her go before she resumed the story.

I looked around I noticed Jake walking by. Skipping up to him I see other na'vi children around him. I tiptoed behind him and yanked on his tail. Jake turned abruptly and roared at us.

I squealed and Ralu and i clung to each other of surprise. We let go and started giggling.

Today will be fun.