Chapter 1

Sometimes you can't be who you're expected to be.

Sometimes you can't live up to your parents or peers expectations.

And sometimes that is a good thing.

Though my family was very similar to most in the wizarding world, we hid a devasting secret.

My parents had served the Dark Lord during his reign of terror.

This secret was well known among the wizarding world, but no ministry member could find any proof.

So my parents, safe from accusation, continued to serve the Dark Lord, searching for him and teaching me to do the same.

I quietly refused to do so, knowing such a sin had torn my family apart and cut it off from the rest of wizarding society.

It was a feeling only someone who felt unwelcome in their own home could relate to.

I often found myself ashamed of my name, especially when I went to Diagon Ally in search of school supplies for my first year of Hogwarts.

I felt as though every patron went out of their way to express their distaste with my family. Whether it was sneering in disgust, vacating the shop as soon as I crossed the threshold, or crossing the alley when I came within a hundred meters of them, the patrons made it their personal mission to give off the impression I was not welcome. It was no help that my parents had decided not to accompany me that day.

My naive mind could only find one solution. I believed that if I could convince my parents to admit their involvement in the Dark Lord's reign of terror, maybe we could seek forgiveness from the wizarding community.

It's amusing, really, that innocence is seen as a weakness meant to be stomped out, when in fact it is the most blissful period of one's life. I can only remember true happiness before I lost my innocence.

Maybe there is a lesson to be learned in all this.

I pray to Merlin that one day I'll grasp it.