[03] partner?

Unedited

Unedited.

┌────────────┐
REECE LITTLE
└────────────┘

PARTNER?

STEPPING INTO the bus, the hairs on Reece's arms instantaneously stood up, goosebumps peppering his skin and a cold chill running down his spine. The hot sweat dampening his skin from outside turned to ice in seconds. Reece held Maddie's small hand in his, making sure she stayed close to him, even though it was them and the bus driver here.

As they got up the steps, he nodded to the driver with a weak, friendly smile on his lips. The driver, who looked to be about in his late forties, greying blonde hairs on his scalp, wrinkles around his brown eyes and in the corners of his lips. Reece showed them their passes they just bought, the driver's eyes scanning them quickly before pointing his thumb behind him and redirecting his brown eyes forward to look out the front window.

Reece led them start to the back of the bus, keeping Maddie moving in front of him, her body almost felt like it was refusing and gave force to his hand he had on the back of her shoulder. Once they were right at the back, they sat down, Reece pulling Maddie's petite body closer into his, ensuring his body heat kept her warm. Her head rested on his shoulder.

"We're going to Melbourne to do a job. Okay?" he said, waiting for her to make any sign that she understood or heard him. He wasn't sure, and when he darted his hazel eyes to her beanie covered head on his shoulder, she appeared to be staring down the empty aisles of the bus thoughtlessly. He continued, whispering now: "It's an unusual job, but the money is good for us. It's also going to be a quick job, we're going to go in and out like this—" snapping his thumb and middle finger together. "Super easy."

He placed a kiss on her beanie covered head, taking a deep breath and savouring the shampoo smell of her hair—coconut water. "It'll be okay." he wasn't sure if he was trying to reassure her or himself more.

"Okay." Her voice was so soft and delicate to the point it sounded almost fragile. It broke his heart to hear, yet he tried to stay cool and collected, nodding against hers. She then moved, sitting up right, her cognac eyes focusing on him, they looked like glass and he could see right into them. He watched as she slowly moved her eyes down to the papers he wedged between his armpit. He looked down on them, too.

"Are these files okay?" his voice didn't raise above a whisper as he watched her, waiting for her to express her thoughts and opinions.

After a while she finally removed her glassy cognac eyes, and looked at him and nodded. The stress and anticipation that was piling bricks onto shoulders instantly fell apart as he sighed out. He nodded, a gentle smile to his lips.

"Help me?" he asked.

Her dark brows slowly started to rise, her eyes widening in what could only be shock and confusion. "Help... with... huh?"