VII.

Three weeks had passed and this honesty thing really began to wear at me. I vowed that the next time I saw Karin, I'd tell her the truth.

Karin usually met up with me on Tuesday's and Thursday's in front of McEwen Hall at 9:45 A.M.so that I could walk her to her ten o'clock.

"Hey baby!" She hugged me.

By this time, she had fallen for me hard. And now that I think about it, I don't believe the sex was helping.  It was only making things deeper. We both loved to have sex. We did it at least once a week. Sometimes in my dorm room (when I could get my roommate to leave), and sometimes at her house. Wherever it may have been, we had sex.

"Hey there!" I pulled away from her and grabbed her hands. Looking her directly in the eyes I said, "I have something that's on my heart."

"Ok—" she smiled not knowing where I was going with this. "—what's up?"

"Ok... so—" I breathed in. Now, was my moment of truth. "—I've been doing some thinking and—"

"Mr. Brown, how are you today, sir?" Mr. Scott Merle, my academic advisor greeted me as he was walking by. He just popped up out of nowhere.

I stopped and turned toward him, shaking his hand. "I'm well. How are you, sir?"

"Today is a great day to be alive." He smiled and then pointed to Karin, "And who is this lovely lady you have here? Your future wife?"

I laughed and looked at Karin, "Maybe it is. This is Karin, my girlfriend." Maybe it is?  Why'd I just say that?

"Well, she sure is a beauty. I love to see strong, black power couples like this. Hey!—" Mr. Merle paused for a minute with his finger in the air and his furrowed eyebrows , "—how about you two come to my Beauty & Desire class next week? You remember taking Beauty & Desire don't you, Mr. Brown?" He looked at me and smiled.

"Yes sir I do."

"That class is always a hoot. I know you definitely have some beautiful things you could share about your girlfriend—" I nodded my head and then Mr. Merle looked at Karin, "—anddd I'm sure you've got some...desirable things you could say about him too, honey, huh?"

"Yes sir, I do !" Karin looked at me and smiled. She put one of her arms around my back and the other arm and hand on my chest. 

"See... this is perfect! Mr. Brown, you owe it all to this sweet lady."

"Oh! She's definitely a treasure." I bit my tongue. She rubbed my back and kissed my cheek. Why couldn't I just shut up? Why did I keep affirming her, even when it wasn't necessary. I was making this harder on myself.

Mr. Merle walked away leaving me and Karin standing there in a "picturesque pose."

"Now what were you needing to tell me baby?" Karin immediately picked up.

"Oh... uhmm—" I looked at my cell phone, "—I'll have to tell you later. You're running late for your ten o'clock."

We rushed toward Bridden Hall.