5: Apprentice

Faria groaned as she tried to limp to her next class. Her limp had gotten worse from getting hit by the ambulance yesterday, so she was struggling quite a bit, especially in the crowded hallways. Faria managed to get to her sixth hour class on time, though just barely. She took her seat just as Mr. Lords started speaking, and this time she actually paid attention, and didn't stare out the window to study the three robot-vehicles.

When the bell rang, Faria made her way outside, but was surprised to see a familiar ambulance waiting there, and Ratch standing there. He smiles when he sees her, and she limps over to him.

"Ratch, what are you doing here?" Faria asks. He looks down at the ground, as if a bit embarrassed.

"I... I wanted to check up on you. You seemed hurt pretty badly yesterday", he says. Faria smiles softly.

"I'm fine. Limping a bit more than usual, but it should go away within a few days."

"Alright", he murmurs. "I should get going."

Faria nods, and goes to leave, limping in the direction of her house. She only gets a few steps before a new voice called to her.

"Hey, Faria!" Faria turned to see Vince driving up to her. "Need a ride?" he asks. Faria shakes her head.

"I'll be fine, Vince", she says, going to continue on walking but Vince stopped her again.

"Faria, get in the car now, or else I'll reveal to everyone your other identity", he threatens.

"I'll get in the car when you tell me why exactly you're so demanding on me getting in the car", Faria says.

Vince rolls his eyes. "I don't trust that guy over there." He points to Ratch, and Faria sighs.

"Vince, he's fine. He helped me get back home yesterday after I got hit by a car. He even made sure I wasn't seriously injured."

Vince sighs. "Then why are you limping?"

"In case you haven't noticed Vince, I've always had this limp ever since I moved here", Faria growls. "Now leave me alone, or else I'll tell your parents about your street racing."

Vince's face paled, and Faria whipped around and starting limping towards her house. She heard a car follow her, and she whipped around to glare at the person, but her gaze softened when she saw Ratch. She paused, and he rolled down his passenger window.

"Do..." he hesitated. "Do you want a ride home?"

Faria shook her head. "Nah, I need to get my exercise anyway. It'll help my limp go away too. Don't want my leg to atrophy, you know? Besides, don't you need to get back to your team? I'm pretty sure they'll need their medic."

Ratch hesitated again, but nodded anyway. "Yeah, I suppose you're right. Perhaps I shall see you around?"

Faria laughed. "Perhaps you shall, Ratch." Faria watched as he drove away before continuing on her way home. After several minutes, she finally arrived home. She walked in and went to the kitchen table to work on her homework. She paused partway through it when her phone buzzed. She looked at it to see a text message from a random number, giving information for a street race. Faria grins, and quickly finishes her homework, putting it away and sending a quick text to Dahlia.

She changed into her racing clothes, and got into her car, quickly driving out of town to the next town over which was a couple hours away. She easily found the circuit, and paid the entering fee of $400. She knew that she would most likely win that money back at the end of the race.

She pulled up to her spot only to pale when she recognized the red Aston Martin next to her. 'Please don't recognize me, please don't recognize me', she begged. Unfortunately, it was not to be, because the window rolled down, and a man with red hair- red, not ginger- smirked at her through her closed window. She rolled it down slightly, just enough for him to see her eyes.

"So, we meet again", he murmured. "Viper, was it?"

"I don't know who- or what- you are, but please, just leave me alone. I don't want anything to with your kind."

"Win this race, and I'll never bother you again. If I win, you come with me", he said. Faria gulped nervously, before nodding slightly. 'Please let me win.'

She got ready to go, flooring it as soon as the go signal went off. She made it to the front of the pack, switching back and forth between the rear-view mirror and the road. When she saw the red Aston Martin slowly catching up, she tried to go even faster, not wanting to use what Dahlia had built into the car, but knowing that if she wanted to win, she would need to use it to win.

As soon as the Aston Martin was almost touching her bumper, she pressed a button that gave her an extra boost of speed, making her go faster than she had ever gone before. She lost sight of the red Aston Martin, and soon, the finish line comes into sight. She rolls across it, letting out a breath of relief when she saw the Aston Martin come in second behind her. 'Thank goodness I won.'

Faria stops to let onlookers get a look at her car, knowing that many were fans of the Viper. She saw people taking pictures and then she got an idea. None of them had ever seen or met her, so she thought she might give them a treat. She opened her door, and stepped out. She smiled softly at the people, many of which where staring at her in surprise. One brave soul- a young teenager girl- came up to her.

"Are you really the Viper?" she asks, her voice quiet. Faria smiles at the girl.

"I am", she says. "Are you a fan?"

She nods in awe, and Faria couldn't help but chuckle. "I see. So, may I ask why you are here?"

The girl shakes her head. "I... I've always wanted to get into racing, but I don't have enough money to buy a car, nor do I have any experience with racing."

Faria leans over to her and whispers something into her ear. "You want to become my student and learn how to race?"

The teen nods, excitement lighting up her face. Faria chuckles, before pulling out a piece of paper from her jeans pocket, as well as borrowing a pen from the teenager. She scrawled out her number on the piece of paper and handed it to the girl.

"Text me whenever you're free and I'll come teach you", she murmurs. The teen nods, and scampers away. Faria gets back in her car and goes to collect her money. Then she drove the long two hours back home, getting home at about two in the morning. Faria was glad that tomorrow was Saturday. She limped to her room, changing out of her racing clothes into pajamas, and putting her racing clothes in their designated box, before collapsing onto her bed, and falling asleep.