Chapter Twelve

Missing in Action

Chapter Twelve

Cassidy's P.O.V

"What!?" I demanded.

My voice silenced the whole room again. Everything stopped.

"Cassidy, we were told by Captain Johnson that Dr Henson had said that you weren't likely to wake up from a coma," Henry explained calmly as if he were talking to a small child.

"You fell pretty hard Cassidy," Ben said.

"I'm sorry, but do I look injured to you?! The worst I suffered were cuts a bruises, and if you want to count the nosebleed then go ahead! I am perfectly fine!" I exclaimed.

"Cassidy you crashed-" James began but I didn't let him finish.

I was already stalking towards Private Henson. He backed up like a startled rabbit.

"You had better have a very good explanation for this!" I hissed.

"You were very unwell Lieutenant," he stuttered.

"You lying b******!" I screeched.

I was beyond angry. He had lied to my friends, he had told them that I was going to die.

He opened his mouth to say something else, by I punched him as hard as I could in the jaw. A loud crack! filled to room. Private Henson fell back with his hand on his jaw.

The whole room seemed to stop breathing in shock. I was supposed to be a pleasant person to work with aboard this ship. I didn't start fights, especially ones that could get me kicked out of the Navy.

"Lieutenant Davis, I think you should go back to the infirmary," someone calmly said.

I whipped around to find myself facing Staff Sergeant Harris, or Harris as we called him, standing behind me.

Harris was a tall man. He had had a tough life as his parents had migrated to this country before he had been born and had struggled to find work. Half of Harris' pay check went to his family every month.

He look concerned, but he hadn't dared to advance any further than 20 steps away from me. Clever man.

"The only way that I'm going back there is if I'm dead," I spat.

"Lieutenant Davis, you must be very confused. You should go back to the infirmary," he replied firmly. He said it like I hadn't even spoken.

I just glared at him.

"Cassidy, you crash landed. That's traumatic for anyone. Private Henson said that you suffered a head injury. We wouldn't blame you if-" Henry began.

"If what Henry? If I'd lost my mind? If I'd gone completely mad?" I hissed at him.

He looked shocked, and his eyes flickered with hurt. Then he studied me closely.

"I don't even remember landing that plane, but I'm fine," I sneered.

Everyone around me gasped. It made me wonder how badly I had landed. I looked around frantically trying to work out if perhaps I had killed someone on my way down.

"Cassidy, you were in a coma five hours ago," James said quietly.

"James I haven't been in a coma!" I exclaimed.

"Cassidy, most of us have seen you in a coma!" James yelled back.

I stared at him. His jaw was clenched and his eyes were puffy and red. They had all believed that I was going to die.