Chapter IV: Meet The Olympians [Part II]

Name: Pallas Athena
Title: Olympian Goddess of wisdom, handicrafts and warfare.

Greetings, godling. As you know, I am the Goddess of wisdom, handicrafts and warfare. Contrary to popular belief, I was born from my mother, Metis, in the form of a toddler. Since my mother was consumed by my father, my growth was sluggish compared to that of an average godling. Whilst my father was busy, my uncle Poseidon nurtured and parented me alongside his son and heir, Triton. Triton and I soon grew to become very good friends. As I spent more time with the young sea prince, I found myself spending more time with my uncle. He always looked dashing and handsome with his sea green eyes and messy hair. He was never despondent, even when his queen, Amphitrite had affairs with mortals. In all of my existence, I have seen my uncle sire only two mortal children, Theseus and Orion. Orion however was revealed to be a Gigante born of uncle's blood. Theseus was born before uncle was forced to marry that wretched nereid as a peace treaty between the gods and titans, which caused me to swear the maiden oath. He went to become the founder of Athens. The city that holds the patronage of both, me and uncle Poseidon.

Now before you go about judging the gods, you must know that even the gods feel mortal emotions such as anger, lust, pride and so on. But the difference is that the gods experience very fluctuating emotions, the emotional stability of a God is generally nil as the fluctuations are constant. But not only do these fluctuations affect the God but they also reflect on his/her domains. Gods rarely sleep with mortals as the beauty of the gods is beyond the comprehension of mortals and often ostracizes us from mankind. In all of history, there have been less than a 150 demigods in summation. That number includes the children of the minor gods and immortals such as Achilles, etc. Even the children of the minor gods and immortals always exhibit far superior biological features and skills amongst the humans.

After I was crowned an Olympian, I was forced to spend most of my time on Olympus or in my domains. I know the question on your mind is, 'why did I curse Medusa?' I guess I could tell you the truth. But remember, my fatal flaw is hubris for a reason.

- - - - - - - - - -  FLASHBACK- - - - - - - - - - - -

Third Person POV:

On the magnificent city of Olympus, in a startling grey temple adorned with images and carvings of learning, paced a handsome man with sea green eyes and raven black hair. His hair billowed in the evening breeze along with his toga, that fluttered in the wind to reveal glimpses of his well toned swimmer's body. The man paced across the room as he awaited the arrival of the temple's patron goddess. Across from the pacing man, a woman with brunette hair and blue eyes sat atop the temple stairs, watching the man pace back and forth.

The woman looked around nervously before she stood up and smoothed the creases on her chiton. She slowly made her way to the man and slowly bowed before him and said, "Lord Poseidon, it's an honor to have you here." The God of the seas looked at the priestess in shock that someone recognized his mortal form, before motioning for her to rise. As the woman rose, the God asked her, "Who might you be, young maiden? What are you doing in my niece's temple?" The woman replied, "I am the priestess of Lady Athena, My Lord. My name is Medusa." The God of the seas smiled kindly and said, "It was nice to meet you, Medusa. Do you know when your mistress shall return?" Medusa blushed heavily and cleared her throat before answering the oblivious God in front of her, "I know not when my mistress is to return, my lord. But if you permit, I shall keep you company until she arrives." The elder God mistook the maiden's advances as enthusiasm and permitted her to stay. The chief priestess of Athena showed him around the temple while fawning over him.

As the priestess tried to capture the heart of the God, an enchanting woman dressed in a grey chiton with an olive wreath in her braided black hair, appeared in a flash of light. The woman strode through her temple confidently, eager to see her fellow Olympian. However the sight that greeted her infuriated her to no end, her chief priestess was attempting to capture the heart of the Elder God who seemed oblivious to the woman's attempt to seduce him. When the Goddess revealed her presence, Medusa looked at her patron scared before she went scurrying off to oversee the worship. The God of the seas then spoke to the wisdom goddess regarding a matter of importance before he bid his goodbyes and left in a swirl of mist.

The Goddess instantly summoned her priestess and asked her, "What were you doing, priestess? You dare attempt to court someone inside this hallowed temple." The priestess looked chastised for a second before saying, "Why would you care, Lady Athena? You are a maiden goddess. You cannot court anyone much less an Olympian God." The wisdom goddess shook in barely concealable rage as her priestess taunted her. She growled out, "Watch your tone, priestess. You are to be a maiden to serve me. Do not anger your own patron." The priestess' face paled as she heard the threat of her mistress, a threat she knew was more of a promise. But anger overcame her fear as she screamed at her patron, "You think you can even stand a chance with him you are mistaken. You are nothing more than his niece. You will never be his beloved with your beauty or the lack of it." The silence in the temple, after the priestess' words, was oppressing. The women glared at each other, forgetting their status and battling only for the love of the Lord of the seas.

After a few minutes, the Goddess whispered in an ancient tongue, "I curse you, Medusa. The beauty you extol shall turn into a hideous beast. Your very gaze shall kill the eyes that fall upon you. You shall walk the earth for eternity, alone and feared by everyone. This is the curse of Medusa." The priestess was engulfed in a bright light as her flawless pearly skin began to grow scales, her hair turned into snake like appendages and her clear blue eyes turned into a mixture of dark blue, yellow and white. Her melodic voice became a hoarse whisper and her curvaceous figure turns into one resembling that of a gorgon. As the former priestess was about to launch herself at her patron, the Goddess of wisdom burst into her true form incinerating the cursed maiden. When the light shone down, the wind blew the remanents of the golden dust out of the temple.

- - - - - - - - - FLASHBACK END- - - - - - - - -

That is the story of Medusa. I am not proud of it but my pride and her actions will forever prevent me from undoing the curse. It has happened again, with Aarchnae and her children but she also cursed my children and me. I guess that makes us even.

Anyhow, the ancient laws forbid me from entering my uncle's realm without permission but he always seems so busy and I can never gain the heart to disturb him. But the advantage of being on the Olympian council is that I get to see him at every meeting and debate matters with him. Most mortals and immortals believe that I am a rival of my uncle but I debate with him because he is smart enough to give me a good challenge and not to mention, I get to spend time with him. (*sighs dreamily*) We even come up with stupid nicknames for each other.

(*quickly regains composure after blushing a deep golden*) Speak of that ever, to anyone and the last thing you see will be Aegis and my spear. If Aphrodite ever finds out, I am going to skin you alive before handing you over to my sister and her priestesses. She tends to be more psychotic than me. That being said, I appreciate you keeping my secret.