Chapter XIII: The Great Stirring

Nico

I woke up to a slap on my face and it wasn't something I was expecting. Even if it were delivered by my ever meddling twin, my hands were itching to repay her in kind but both of us knew that it would soon delve into a slap fight. The victorious smirk on her face most definitely did not help either. Thinking back, I should have expected this but I didn't have enough time to process the words of my mentor, 'You might feel this'.

My glare seemed to shut the two smiling blondes up real quick but it did nothing to remove that smirk off Bi's face. Her eyes were filled with mirth and joy, her rosy cheeks flushing pink in the winter breeze. I shook my head once to clear my thoughts and muttered, 'Its not like you geniuses were awake either.' I pulled my jacket closer and nearly hugged myself to avoid the cold, sensing my discomfort Bianca came to my side. We snuggled closer sharing warmth. Rushing to the creepy looking castle, the four of us made our way in the snow. The faint sound of music and the smell of fruit punch wafted in the evening breeze.

Pushing open the doors, we made our way inside sneaking through the corridors. Removing our winter coats and placing them in a janitor's closet, we gathered at the reception area. The faun had told the blondes that the location of the dance was the cafeteria and so we headed there sneaking through the already creepy hallways. Soon enough the hallways began showing signs of human presence with confetti strewn on the floors and streamers hanging on the walls. The sounds of music and chatter became more prominent as we navigated our way through the halls, lucky to be unhindered by the faculty or students. Most likely a trick by the son of Mercury. I am by no means a child of Lady Trivia but from the training with my mentor, it was obvious that he manipulated the mist.

Bianca nudged me in the ribs and mentally told me to focus on our surroundings. Apparently my thoughts were distracting her too. Taking her hand in mine, we followed the chattering blondes as they lead the way. They were discussing the faun and his charge but it was clear they wanted to find another way back to camp. Luckily for us, Bianca and I reached the cafeteria just in time to see the blondes enter. We apprehensively walked up to the door, hands still interlocked, placed our free hands on either side of the door and pushed it open.