Chapter 1

Nico walked past thousands of ghosts in the Underworld. They bowed. He ignored them. He was silent. His clothes did not shift. He met eyes with a boy his age with blue eyes and black hair who was new, and didn't bow. He smiled at him while reading his soul - new skill he had acquired. He learned everything about this boy, Jason Todd. Nico nodded at him as another ghost pulled him down. Jason glared at the other ghost. The other ghost - Jonas - started explaining as Nico left.

"That's Nico Di Angelo." Jonas said as he helped Jason up, "He's the only living human allowed in the Underworld."

Jason turned to Jonas in confusion, "Why? What makes him so special?"

"He's the Ghost King." Jonas said softly, before leaning in to speak to Jason, "And, rumor has it, that he's the son of the Lord of the Underworld."

"Who is he the son of?" Jason asked, surprised.

Jonas sighed, frustrated, "Exactly what he sounds like. No one's ever seen him unless they're in the fields of punishment. He tortures all the souls there, and once you enter you can never leave."

"The fields of punishment?" Jason parroted.

"See that fence?" Jonas asked, pointing at a large black fence in the corner, "It's in there. Don't go in there, or you're stuck. Forever."

Jason nodded, "Got it."