Chapter 12

Anger is the easiest emotion.

It's easy to feel angry at someone. It's basically the second stage in dealing with losing someone. First comes denial, secondly anger.

I've dealt with both. But it was easier to hold on to the anger. I've lived in denial since i found out about my mom's cancer. But since her final days it's been mostly anger.

Anger at the doctors and the treatments. Angry at the fate that brought this to us.

But it passed. And i was left only with a dull ache that comes whenever i think of her.

The heartache that will accompany the though of her forever.

******

"I'm ready!" I jump when i hear the sound of Sydney's excited voice.

"I can see that." I say. She laughs and plops down beside me to put on her shoes.

"Where are you taking me?" I ask, curiosity getting the better of me.

"You'll see soon enough."

I shrug and stand up. I wipe my hands on my jeans. Sydney puts her phone in her back pocket and we are out of the door.

When we step outside i turn to her.

"Do we need to take my car?" I ask her.

"No, it'a a nice night we could walk." She says and begins walking. I follow her.

A few beats of silence between us. Then Sydney breaks it.

"I want to tell you something." She says.

"Me too. You go first."

"No, you say first."

"Fine. Never begin a statement by saying that you want to tell me something. Just tell me right away."

But she doesn't smile or laugh. She just nods.

"I wanted to tell you that i know that we don't know each other that well, but i'm still worried about you. No one deserves to be alone." She says.

I shake my head. "Please don't pity me."

"No, no. I'm not. I'm just being a good friend."

"You are."

She turns and looks at me. "Thanks."

She then stops and stands in front of me.

"Promise me something." Her eyes shine bright and seem glossy.

"Yeah?"

"When things get crazy, don't push me away."

I close my eyes and nod. I feel her hand wrap around my own and she squeezes.

"Yeah, i promise." I squeeze her hand back and open my eyes. And she's smiling that gentle smile that somehow made its way into me heart.

We resume walking to a very strange part of town. I've never been here. Then we're stopping in the middle of a parking lot.

It's nearly dark and there are no cars in the lot. The building in front of it consists of several floors and small, identical, squared windows.

"Where are we?" I ask her.

She purses her lips. "I will tell you. But i want to show you something first."

She takes my hand and leads me to a nearest wall. We stop in front of it.

The wall is a painting. A painting is of an old man with white hair. He's standing behind bars that look like he's in jail. He's looking outside at a beautiful sight and he's extending his hand to a girl standing outside.

The girl that stands outside is a brunette with curly hair. Her brown eyes are beautiful. Tears are spilled down her cheeks.

I turn to look at Sydney and i don't miss the similarity between her and the girl in the painting. Right now she has the same look on her face.

"We are at the prison." Sydney says.

I gasp.

Her father is in jail?

                                    ******

And if a double decker bus,
Crashes into us,
To die by your side
Is such a heavenly way to die.
-There's a light that never goes out by the smiths.