Chapter 21

It's not a bad thing to always have a memory that you love and like to relive it in your thoughts once in a while, but as Dumbledore said, it does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Remember it, but never keep living in it.

******
The next day, i stop by the coffee house to have a talk with Sydney.

After all, i can't keep all this feelings inside me, i have to get it out.

But when i enter, i don't find her in sight.

I sit at a table and wait for her to come, maybe she's late or something.

But after and hour of waiting, she's not here.

I get up and ask a waiter named Carter about her.

But he shakes his head. "I don't know a Sydney who works here."

My eyebrows pull together. Maybe he's just a new waiter that doesn't know her. Or because she's new their paths haven't crossed yet.

I mumble a thank you and i get out. I think of stopping by her house. But i think better of it and i go to the prison.

I park my car and i get out. I take a look around and i don't find her anywhere.

I take out my phone and i dial her number, but it's unreachable.

I sigh and rack my mind for something she said about going somewhere today. But i come up empty.

And i'm sure she said she has a shift today.

I get in my car and i go to her apartment. I knock on the door frantically.

Karen opens the door with a scowl.

"Woah, what's going on?" She asks, eyeing me up and down.

"Is she here?" I ask her.

"Who?"

"Sydney."

"Who is that?" She asks in confusion.

"Your roommate, Karen. What the hell is wrong with you?" I'm getting angry and my voice is rising.

"How do you know my name?"

"Are you kidding right now?" I push past her and i enter the apartment. I go straight to Sydney's room.

I turn the door knob and open the door, what awaits me makes my stomach drop.

The room is empty.

There's nothing inside, no furniture, it's completely empty.

"Will you get out of my apartment before i call the police?"

"Did she move out? Where does she live? Is she out of town?" I throw the questions at her.

"Look, i don't know who you're talking about, i really hope you find her, but i think you got the wrong apartment." She fidgets with her hands.

I press my forehead to the wall. My head is spinning. What the hell is going on?

Am i going crazy?

Is this some kind of prank or something?

"I'm really sorry i barged in like this. I really am."

I exit the apartment and shut the door behind me.

I sit on the stairs and pull my knees to my chest.

Where did she go? Did she leave?

Why didn't she tell me something?

After all we've shared together, she just disappears?

She disappeared.

There's no way in hell this is happening.

I told myself from the beginning not to fall for her.

And look what happened.

I'm beginning to question my sanity. Did i imagine all of this? Was this a dream?

Was this my imagination?

Because if this was my reality, then karma is playing jokes on me.

******

But every ending is also a beginning, we just don't know it at a time.
-Mitch Albom.