FIVE

DIANA had wandered the Tower of the Lord Commander late at night. Such a practice was not unusual for the Amazon. She felt like she thrived best when the moon was out and the winter winds blowing.

After exiting the room she was a guest at, she rounded the spiraling staircase to come face to face with a massive white wolf. Standing on all fours it nearly looked her straight in the face. Its red eyes stared at her with such intelligence, she thought she was looking into the eyes of another person.

They looked at each other for a few moments, each respecting the others need for distance. Diana gathered her courage and took a step forward. The wolf eyed her suspiciously, pulling its muzzle back to reveal sharp teeth. Very sharp teeth.

Diana thought back to what Jon called him when they reunited.

"Your name is Ghost, isn't it?" She whispered.

He seemed to recognize his name, and relaxed. The wolf still gazed at her suspiciously, as if she could attack at any time. She held out her hand for him to sniff.

Ghost smelled her hand, quickly nuzzling it. He knocked her down with his massive head, trying to lick her face. Her body was pushed back futher against the stones of the wall as she felt the force of the pup's body land on her thighs. Diana heard quiet sniffles and felt the wet tip of its nose meet her cheek as it sniffed heavily. And then she felt its wet tongue lick her cheek gently as the pup just continued to sniffle. Slowly, she opened her eyes to meet a pair of blood red eyes.

The pup continued to sniff her face in a friendly manner of greeting as she looked down and saw its stubby tail swooping back and forth excitedly.

Diana gently moved her hand to scratch behind behind his ear. She laughed and pet his soft fur. Its huge, inquisitive red eyes were quite adorable.

"Well, hello to you, too. You're very friendly, huh?"

Jon had now reached Diana, and he was completely relieved to see that Ghost was only eager to make friends with the young woman. Although, the sight of the ferocious beast; who was always wary of strangers, rubbing its nose and tongue against the woman's porcelain cheek came as a shock to him.

Diana was leaning over to press a gentle kiss to Ghosts nose, as he licked her face. She was smiling at him, not a trace of fear on her face. Her slender fingers ran through his direwolf's white fur. 

The sight was so shockingly lovely. She was crouching down to pet Ghost, her hair reached just above her hips. Falling like silk in waves down her back. Her soft full lips were pulled up at the corners.

He proceeded towards them both. Ghost sat satisfied with himself at her feet.

"Diana." Jon said, stopping a few meters away from her.

The named woman reciprocated the greeting with a bow of her head, before looking up to his face. "Jon."

"I didn't think you'd be awake." He exclaimed, crouching down beside her.

Jon's hair was messy. His look was lost and dark, the exhaustion began to notice in his features.

Diana shook her head slowly, in amused delight. "It's my first night in a castle I've heard so much about growing up, I simply couldn't sleep." Jon let a soft smile take residence in his tired face. Both he and Diana diverted their attention from each other and back to the snowy direwolf.

"His name suits him well. He is quite soundless—and he has such white fur." Diana commented with a grin that showcased her pearly teeth.

A smile graced the man's handsome-albeit tired- face. "I'm not sure that he will want to part from you now, though. He seems fond of you," Jon laughed quietly as Ghost nuzzled his head further into one of her thighs, his left ear twitching occasionally.