Chapter 10 🌙

It had been a few days since our showdown with those creatures that I now know as crawlers. Everybody had been talking about it non-stop. We had the week off because as Nora said we experienced trauma and needed time to recover. I spent most of the day in our room, and unfortunately stuffing my face at the banquet hall. Since then I had been in a bit of a slump. Rebekka was at full health, and Farren was fine for the most part besides her migraines. Nora said they would subside in a few days.

     The most pressing thing on my mind was also something or someone I didn't want to think about. Word on Dominic had been slim to none, and any attempt that I had at finding anything out was deterred. Apparently I wasn't entitled to that information. Demetrius shot daggers at me anytime we were in passing. I was both frustrated at the lack of information, and yet relieved at the same time. No information was just as good right?

     I sighed reading one of my old novels with the cover torn off. It was about a woman who became a maid, and eventually I'm assuming she falls in love with some military vet. It was a welcome distraction, with all that was going on I hadn't had much time to read. The girls tried to get me to go do other things, but I just didn't feel up to it. I placed my book down, sliding on some sandals and walked out of the door.

      I watched as construction workers repaired the ship. Welding, lasering, and whatever else they were doing to put everything back together. I walked around the ship, no certain destination in mind. People passed by laughing, giggling, and conversating. Once again I missed my family, hell who even knew that these people were telling the truth anyway? I swallowed hard thinking about my mother's soft eyes.

     Somewhere out there earth still stood, and as long as that possibility existed then so did my family. I walked aimlessly around, some people stopping to congratulate me once again and it went in one ear and out of the other. I was walking along the halls near the library when I bumped into a familiar cloaked figure. My breath caught in my throat, even though I knew what was beneath the cloak they weren't any less scary.

      "Yarua."

    "Belkov?" I said with uncertainty.

     He lowered his hood.

      "I'm glad that you are ok."

     He stared at me expressionless, and I grew exceedingly uncomfortable as the minutes passed. Finally, I spoke.

     "You know, if that was your attempt at friendship you have a lot of work to do."

     I nearly jumped out of my skin when he tilted his head back and laughed. It was musical yet deep, and his smile was mesmerizing even on his pale skin. He looked like an angel almost. Everyone around us was staring at the back of his head, most of them with shocked expressions. I blinked, and suddenly he was walking away.

      "Until we meet again Rue."

     Xiao broke away from a crowd in the hall walking towards me gracefully without even trying.

     "That's strange, reapers don't show their faces let alone laugh. I've never even heard one of them speak," she said slightly concerned.

      "Yeah, strange." I said watching him disappear. 

     "Any word on Dominic yet?"

       "None and Demetrius is a total ass. He won't tell me anything, as if it's somehow my fault that crawlers got on the ship."

     "So, we kind of spoke with him and we may have a lead on where Dominic may be. But we'll have to do it at night."

      "So basically we're sneaking into a restricted area?" I said later, back at the room surrounded by my friends and Farren.