Chapter One: The Rivers Edge

Riverdale is a family friendly, small, off the grid town. Not much happens here in Riverdale. No murders, break ins... anything. Quite frankly it's perfect. There's two "sides." Theres the south side, where I live. South side, if I'm being honest, is not a good place. Theres gangs, the school is not much a school, and all the houses are trailers in a trailer park. I'm actually in one of those gangs. The Serpents to be exact. I'm only 16, and I already have been branded. I have a snake tattoo on my left hip bone. Theres only a few lady serpents. I love my gang and wouldnt trade it for anything. There my family. Anyways, the other part of town is known as the north side. It's the exact opposite of the south side. Nice urban homes, a great high school, nice parks, no gangs... its where you would ideally raise your family. In all honesty I would love to move to the north side, but I'm stuck living in a trailer park with my drunk mother. 

I work at a run down gas station on the south side. Doesn't pay well but it keeps me out of trouble and my mom away from me. My mother is a no good drunk prostitute. You can take a wild guess on how she conceived me. I don't even know who my father is. A shame right? Yeah, tell me about it. Anyways, it's 9:40 and we close at 10:00. My plan is to go to Pop's after my shift to get food for me and my hooker of a mother. We usually don't get any customers, which is totally fine by me. Less work. I pass the time by reading magazines or practicing how fast I can whip out my switch blade. Often I find myself staring at the clock thinking about someone. Him. But I could never in a million years be with him. It just wouldn't work out. Our parents have... history. 

The clock finally struck ten. Time to get out of this hell hole. Goodbye Frank's Gas and More. I hopped in my 1980 Audi 100 CD. Don't ask how I got that baby. Anyways, I drove to Pop's and ordered my usual. I sat down at the bar and talked to Pop about my day. I loved Pop. It seemed he never cared were I was from or who I am. He accepted me. I heard the usual ding of the bell when someone opened the door, so I turned around. Oh, what a surprise. Betty Cooper and Archie Andrews. Are they finally a thing? Lord knows that poor girl is in love with him. Even I can see it and I don't even go to their school. Man, he must've finally broke down and agreed to date her. I continued my conversation with Pop, about my long day at work and how I am not ready to switch schools. My first day is tomorrow. Oh, I forgot to mention... I attend Riverdale High now. Pop brings me my food, a cheeseburger with pickles and a side of fries with a chocolate shake. My absolute favorite. Then, another ding. I turn around and it's this dark, mysterious girl with cape. Who is she? "Hello, are you Pop?" she asked. "Yes ma'am, the one and only." Pop answered with a smile. She smiled back. "Great. I uh, have an order to go for the Lodge's." she said. "Yes ma'am, I'll go get it." Pop said. She just smiled. Something about her screams, "raised in New York but my daddy's jail"... She walked over to Betty and Archie. I could tell by the look on Archie's face he was in awe. "Chin up, Archie, you're drooling man." I thought. The girl said something, then yelled "Can we get some onion rings, too please?" Pop replied, "Yeah." What a weird girl. 

I finished my cheeseburger and left a twenty beside my plate. "Thanks, Pop. Really hit the spot once again. Keep the change and have a nice night." I said as I got up and walked out the door. That girl stared me down as I walked out. She even watched me get in my car. Man, she really is a weird girl. I sat in my car for a few minutes. I didn't want to go home. I wanted to enjoy the peace while it lasted. After about 10 minutes passed, I saw Betty walk out. She seemed... mad and upset. I bet that mystery girl stole her boy toy! Ha, I like her already. I saw Betty get on her bike and ride off into the darkness. Hm, very strange... Well, all is well with me so I don't care. Time to go home to my ass wipe mom. I have to prepare for my first day. I'm nervous, I know everyone is gonna judge me for where I live and who I came from. But I don't really care, I know more from the Serpents than I do from school. I pulled into my drive way to see someone at my window. What the hell? Oh God, it's Leon. Leon is my ex. We dated for a good 2 years until his mom died and he became an emotional wreck and dumped me. He's been trying to get back with me for w while, but I just can't seem to get my mind off of someone else. I mean we are kind of... involved. We do stuff every now and then but we never really get back together. Maybe if I get back with him, my mind will stop thinking about the other guy. "Skylar, look it's not what it looks like. I tried to knock and no one answered so I checked your window... and then you pulled up." he said. He looked stressed. Let me describe Leon. He's about 5'11, really tan, blue with brown in the middle eyes, and perfect, fluffy, curly brown hair. He's like, perfect. Oh, and his jawline. Man oh man. "Oh, um... it's fine. Why are you here? Are you okay?" I asked. I got out my car and started towards my front door. "Well, Sky, not really. I fell, I'm hurt." he said. I stopped. "What do you mean?" I said. I really didn't care but I didn't wanna be rude. "I fell hard...for you." he said with a smile. "God, Leon you're so stupid!" I said. I hit him on his shoulder and we walked inside. My mom was sitting on the couch, smoking as usual. "Hi Mrs. Rose. Good to see you." Leon said. "Yeah, hi." she said without even looking up. Rude bitch. "Hello mother." I said sarcastically. She rolled her eyes. Leon and I went into my room. "Hasn't changed one bit since 8th grade." he said looking around. "Yeah well that's because I'm only here when I sleep. I don't care much to change it up." I said while flopping on my bed. He sat on my bed and just looked at me. "What?" I asked. "Nothing, I just miss you... us. I really wanna be with you, Sky. My mind was fucked up when I dumped you. But I'm better, I got help and I'm so much better." He said. Oh my gosh. I mean, like I said before, I could use him to get my mind of things. "Oh, well that's great, Leon. I'm happy for you." I said. "Sky, come on. At least think about it. I really do love you." He said. "I love you too. And I do want to get back together, I miss you a lot." He smiled. "Great. You know I'm gonna miss you at South Side High. But maybe you transferring to Riverdale High is better for you and you education." He said. "It is. And I'm gonna miss you too." We both smiled and started to lean in. And then this fat whore basically broke down my door. "Ew." she said. I rolled my eyes. "What do you want, mom." I asked. "Uh did you bring home food?" she asked. "Oh shit. I forgot, sorry. Looks like you'll have to be a grown up and find food for yourself." I said as I shrugged my shoulders. She rolled her eyes and slammed my door. I looked at Leon and sighed. "Sorry about her." I said. Leon laughed, "She hasn't changed since eighth grade either." "Yeah, I know right. But um... it's kind of late, and my first day is tomorrow, so-" "Yeah, I'll go home. But text, okay?" he said. "Okay. Goodnight Leon." I said as he walked out my room. 

I woke up to my mom banging things around. "Gosh damn it! Skylar, have you seen my cigarettes?!" she screamed. "No, mother. You need to quit anyways." I said. "Cunt." I mumbled under my breath. I checked my phone to see the time. 4 am. She's up at 4 am looking for her cigarettes? Crazy bitch. I went back to sleep. I woke up to my alarm ringing at 6 am. I got up, brushed my teeth, washed my face and began getting ready. I put on a black crop-top, high waisted jeans, slip on white vans, and my Serpents jacket. I curled my hair and put on mascara and then left. At school, I met up with Jughead. His dad is FP, and FP is the Serpent King, or leader. We met up and he showed me around. I caught a glimpse of that girl I saw at Pop's last night. She approached me. "Hi, I'm Veronica Lodge. And you are?" she asked while shaking my hand. "Skylar Rose." "Ah, well hi, Skylar Rose. Nice to meet you. I'm new, just moved in from New York. Are you new?" she asked. She was wearing a plaid top and skirt, carrying a big black purse on her arm. Those pearls on her neck looked expensive. "Uh, yeah. Just transferred here from South Side High." I said. "Oh! Awesome. You're jacket is so cute! Where did you get it? Although I would get just a regular leather jacket, you know, without the snake." she said. "Serpent." I said. "Pardon?" she asked. "It's a serpent, not a snake. I mean, it's a snake but... you know." I said. "Yes." she said with a smile. "Well, it was nice meeting you. Have a nice first day here!" She said. "Thanks. You too." She said. I walked away and she was staring me down. 

I got thru most of my classes fine, but I just got a weird vibe from this school. I mean, at South Side High, there was never a dull moment. It was so much fun there, but we never learned anything. We all got called to the gym for some announcement. Low and behold the Cheryl Blossom was standing at a podium. Gosh, Jason died last month. I know you're upset, but let go. She's so dramatic. She talked and talked and talked. Seemed like forever. "Thank you for that moment of silence. Many of you were lucky enough to have known my brother personally. Each and every one of you meant the world to Jason. I loved my brother. He was and always will be my soulmate. So I speak with the confidence only a twin could have Jason wouldn't want us to spend this year mourning. Jason would want us to move on with our lives. Which is why I've asked the school board not to cancel the back to school semi formal." I looked at everyone cheering to find Archie and Ms. Grundy looking at each other. Odd, but whatever. "But rather, us it as a way to heal, collectively, and celebrate my brothers too, too short life on this mortal coil. Thank you all." She said as the gym got louder with clapping and screaming. Dramatic. Her use of vocabulary was impressive yet...I mean come on, very dramatic. 

The bell for lunch rang so I got my plate and found a table to sit at in the cafeteria. I was in perfect view of the window. I could see Archie, Betty, Kevin and Veronica. She really is daddys little rich girl. Cheryl came up to me. "Hi, you're new and I'm Cheryl Blossom! I love your style, it screams Danielle Dax with a modern touch. Love it! Anyways, follow my twitter and I'll do the same! My user is CherylBobshell. Toodloos!" And walked away. Wow. Didn't even ask my name. Again, dramatic. I ate my lunch by myself until I saw Jughead walking towards me. "Jug! I'm so glad you're here. I'm so lonely." He laughed. "It will get better. You'll make friends, trust me. I mean, you look bad ass, you're gorgeous, and smart. Who wouldn't wanna be friends with you?" He laughed. Him. That's who I couldn't take my mind off of. Jughead Jones. But our parents have bad history. It would never work. But still, a girl can dream. I looked outside to the windpw while we were eating to see Archie playing guitar and singing. "Oh, I didn't know the ginger pot sang. He must be really trying to impress the new girl." I said. "Yeah, well you never know with Archie. A new surprise everyday." Jug said. Then the bell rang queuing the end of lunch. 

Finally, school was over and I was walking to my car when I heard someone whistle. I turned to look back to find this tall guy looking me up and down. "Is that how you get girls attention? Whistling?" I asked. "Only the pretty ones." He said as he laughed and walked away. Strange. I think his name is Reggie. Not sure. I walked to my car and started to the highway. I stopped at Pop's for a milk shake and went my normal route home. On the road, I dropped my milk shake on my floor board. "Shit, shit, shit!!" I said to myself. I tried to stop it from pouring out more and forgot to look up at the road. I looked up and saw a car coming right towards me. Then everything went dark.