Chapter Two: A Touch of Evil

I woke up in a hospital bed. Jughead was sitting in a chair beside my bed. "Jug?" I said. "Oh, Skylar, you're awake. How do you feel?" He asked. "I feel fine. What happened?" "You were in a car crash. The damage wasn't too bad, all you broke was your arm." He said. Why is Jug here? My mother isn't even here. That's a shame. "Jug, why are you here?"  I asked. "Well, you know the rule, 'no serpent stands alone.'" He said. "Oh... well thanks for being here. Has my mom came?" I asked. "Sorry, Sky.. No. I tried calling her, the hospital tried... I even went to your house. She's no where to be found." He said. I rolled my eyes. "She's probably at the Whyte Wyrm getting drunk or high. You know how she is." I said. "Well, I hope you're okay. Let's get you discharged and home." Jug said. Gosh... I fall harder every time. 

I got discharged from the hospital and Jug got us a ride home. When we pulled up, my totaled car was sitting in my driveway. The front was crushed inwards like crazy. How did I survive? "Oh shit my car!" I screamed. Jug laughed. "You're lucky to be alive Skylar. Don't stress... you can get a new one." he said. He walked me in and he sat me down on my couch. "Want anything to eat... drink?" he asked. I laughed. "I would say yes but we don't have anything. I eat Pop's every night." I said. He laughed. "Look, Jug. I'm fine. Go. My mom will come home, she always does. Thank you for being there for me." I said. He sat down by me and looked me in my eyes. "Skylar, I have to tell you something." He said. Oh shit. Ohhh shittttt. "I don't know if you feel the same way, but I like you. A lot. And I know things between us could never workout, given our parents... history. But maybe we could set that aside and be happy together. Don't you think?" He said. Wow, he just dropped a bombshell. "Jug, I feel the same way. But you know that could never work. Plus... Leon and I are back together, it just wouldn't work out. I'm sorry." He leaned in and kissed me. What was that for? Supposed to change my mind? "Jug!" I said. "Please. This summer I couldn't get my mind off you. I mean, I'm going to the the Serpent King, you could be my Serpent Queen and-" "Jug!" I yelled. "You know I would love that, all of that. But you also know that none of that will ever happen. I mean, maybe in the future, but now is not the time. I'm sorry." I said. "Yeah... uh, okay. Well, keep in touch and update me on your arm." He said while getting up and heading to the door. "Bye Sky." He said. "Bye Jug." and he shut the door. Shit. Why? My mother ruins everything! If it wasn't for her, Jug and I could be together. But no, she had to be an emotional, self-centered, obsessive bitch. I looked around for my phone but I remembered it must've gotten lost or crushed in the accident. Then I heard a knock on the door. "Who is it?" I asked. "Sky, it's Leon! What the hell happened to your car?" He said. Shit I forgot about him. "Oh, come in." He opened the door and walked. "What the hell happened to your arm?" He said. "Oh, I got in a car accident, as you can probably see. My phone must've gotten crushed or something... Sorry I didn't text you or call I-" "Why did I just see Jughead leave?" he asked. "He was there at the hospital and got me a ride home." I said. "So you called him?" he asked. "No, Leon. I had no clue why or how he got there. He must've seen the wreck." I said. He sat down on the couch by me. "Oh, well I'm glad you're okay." he said. "Yeah, me too." I said. "How was my girls first day at Riverdale High?" he asked. I laughed. "Uh, weird, but okay. Did you do anything interesting today?" I aksed. "No, but I missed you." He leaned in. I pushed him off. 'Not right now, Leon. I'm not the in mood." I said. He sighed. "No it's okay. I'm just glad you're okay. Where's your mom?" He asked. "UH, well I'm not sure. But it ain't bothering me." I said. "But look, it's like, midnight, and I'm exhausted. I hate to ask but I just wanna be alone to sleep." I said. "Yeah, I'll go. Just call me if- never mind." He laughed. I laughed back. "Yeah, I don't have a phone." He leaned in for a kiss. I kissed him back. "Goodnight Sky. How bout work on getting a phone so you can text me?" He laughed. He walked out the door.

I sat on my couch for about an hour watching TV when I heard a knock at my door. Probably Jughead. I turned off my TV and answered the door. It was Sheriff Keller. "Sheriff Keller? What's going on?" I asked. He took off his hate. "Skylar, we found your mothers body hanging in the bathroom of a gas station. I'm very sorry for your loss. She left a note and I think you might wanna read," and he handed me a letter. "again, I'm so sorry. Since your still a minor, you need to contact any family or find someone to be your legal guardian." He said. "Please go, I'll deal with it later." I said as I shut the door. Oh my God. My mom killed herself? What the hell. I'm not sad, I just don't know how to process this. Even though my mom was a bitch, I still loved her. She was the only family I ever had. I opened the note. "To my dearest daughter Skylar. I'm sorry it ended this way, I just couldn't take things anymore. I know you hate me, and I blame myself every waking day for it. I'm also sorry for not knowing who you're father is. It was a hard world, and I had to make a living somehow. I left all that I had in your name. I hope you succeed way farther than I ever did. You're such a smart, bright girl and you have the potential to do anything you want. I love you so much baby girl. Please forgive me. Love, mom."  Oh my God. Wow. I'm shocked. I don't know what to think. I just need sleep. Lots of sleep. Maybe I'll feel better in the morning. I'm definitely not going to school tomorrow.