2.

Chapter 2.

I took a deep breath, straightened out the wrinkles that had formed on bottom of my dress from the long car ride. "This is it," I muttered as I glanced around my newly decorated dorm room. "I am officially living on my own."

The dorm was much smaller than I had pictured in my head, but my side now felt quite cozy. My bed, which was set up to be slightly higher for optimum storage, was neatly made with a teal and black comforter I'd specially bought for college. The four pillows I had strategically placed to give it a more appealing look and I added a white fluffy throw blanket at the foot. On the wall, underneath some fairy lights right above my bed, I'd hung up some of my favorite memories I had from the past three years of high school.

With the help of Dylan, I had everything in my dorm room and unpacked by dinner time. Somehow, we managed to get everything organized before my roommate arrived.

Pulling my laptop open, I curled up in a ball on my freshly made bed. I had some spare time to kill, so I decided to watch some Netflix to unwind and relax until my roommate showed up.

Three episodes of Riverdale later, I heard someone on the other side of the door fiddling with the lock. My roommate was finally here.

I pulled my ear bud from my ear, eagerly jumped off my bed just as the door swung open. I offered the girl a warm smile. "You must be my roommate. I'm Lilly."

A pair of eyes blue as the ocean met mine, narrowed. "That would make sense as to why I'm putting my things in here, now wouldn't it?"

Her snarky comment took me by surprise. I couldn't possibly had done anything that could have upset her already. We hadn't even met before, so why would she not like me?

"Right," I forced a laugh to play it off as though I wasn't offended. "Of course."

My new roommate rolled her eyes, walked past me to set the small box she was holding on the other bed. She was much taller than me, and with her spiderly long legs that seemed to go on for miles, she looked like a model. A pair of black distressed shorts clung to her olive-colored skin, matched with a cute yellow crop top, and sparkled sandals.

"Do you want any help to bring your stuff in?" Maybe she was just feeling stressed out from all the emotions of move in day and that's why she was acting annoyed with me. If I helped her to get all of her things in the room and unpacked, I hoped that we could become friends.

The girl turned; her pin straight black locks fell effortlessly over her shoulders. She gave me a once over, shook her head. "I think I'll survive."

I let out a soft sigh, turned back to my bed to grab my phone to text Dylan. If I was lucky then maybe he would let me go over to his place while my roommate unpacked. She had to have just been stressed. We had just met. I couldn't have done anything to make her hate me already.

Dylan was quick to respond, letting me know that he would be over shortly to pick me up. I felt instant relief that he agreed so quickly.

"Well," I said, walked over to my desk where I left my new ID card and room key. "I guess I'll give you some space to unpack your things however you choose." I forced a confident smile on my face, turned to the girl who was frowning at me. "I'll see you later."

She didn't respond with words, instead she offered a fake smile that confirmed I wasn't over analyzing. My new roommate hated me.

By the time I made it downstairs and through the doors, I saw Dylan walking my way. I hurriedly made my way to him, desperate to get as far away from the dorm building as possible before my roommate came down to get more of her belongings.

Dylan raised his eyebrows as he saw me quickly approaching. I grabbed a hold of his arm, tugged him in the opposite direction of the dorms. "Come on."

He didn't seem to offer any physical resistance as he let me pull him. "What's going on Faye? Why are you in such a rush to get away from your dorm already?"

I didn't want to have to tell Dylan about my problems. Less than six hours into my first day of living alone and I already called my best friend to come rescue me. It was embarrassing.

"I'll tell you later."

That was not going to fly with Dylan. He hit the brakes, inevitably causing me to stop just thirty feet shy of his car. He pulled his arm away. "Faye." His voice was stern, laced in concern. "What's the problem?"

I sighed, turned to face him with a wide frown. "My roommate hates me."

A light laugh left from Dylan's smug lips as he realized my dilemma wasn't anything he deemed major. "Girl drama already?"

"I don't know what I did," I continued, ignoring the fact that Dylan found it funny that I had the world's worst luck. "I've known her less than five minutes and she just seems to hate me."

Dylan's expression fell to a sympathetic one, but I could tell he was fighting back a laugh. "What's this girls name?"

I shrugged; my head snapped in the direction of the doors just as a familiar face walked through them. Judging from the smile on my roommate's face, she didn't seem to hate the guy that was walking next to her. "Not a clue. We didn't get that far in our brief conversation."

"Right." Dylan stopped trying to hold back his laughter. "Of course not."

I turned my head back to Dylan and placed both of my hands on his chest as I gave me a slight shove. "Stop it. I'm being serious here. She hates me."

Dylan only smirked at my sad attempt to push him back. He sighed, swung his left arm around my shoulder, pulled me into his side. "Don't over think it. It's probably her first time away from home and she's probably just in a mood. I wouldn't jump to conclusions that she hates you." He started walking again in the direction of his car, taking me along with him. "This year is a fresh start for you. You got to do your best to make it what you want. Don't let her get under your skin."

I frowned. That was easy for him to say. Dylan wasn't a freshman that had to live in the dorms. He had his own apartment, free of roommate to make his life hell.

Nevertheless, I knew that Dylan was right. If I wanted to have even the slightest chance at having a good year, I needed to be the bigger person and pretend that she hadn't brushed me off like I was some kind of inconvenience. When I went back to my room, I would have to go in with a clean perspective and just pray that she was in a better mood.

__

Poor Lilly, not getting the start to college that she'd always imagined. What are you thoughts on her roommate? Why do you think she's so against Lilly without knowing her?

Thanks for reading!❤️