27.

Chapter 27.
Holy shit. I liked Dylan. As more than just friends. The revelation shook me to the core, mostly because I had spent so long telling myself that Dylan and I were just friends, and that he was like a brother to me. But I didn't think of him as a brother. I was attracted to him. And the worst part was, I wasn't sure what to do about that.

Did I tell him? But then, what if he didn't like me back? It would ruin our friendship, and I wasn't sure I could handle life without him. Dylan was my best friend, and I would rather pine over him from afar for the rest of my life than make things weird between us and have him stop being friends with me.

"Lilly?" Luke asked, eyeing me warily. "Are you okay? You look like you're about to pass out."

"I like Dylan," I breathed, shaking my head. How had this happened? When had this happened?

Luke nodded. "Yeah, I know," he said easily. "Anyone with eyes can see that."

"What am I going to do?" I groaned, putting my head in my hands.

Just then, someone knocked on the door, and I froze.

"Who is that?" I asked.

Luke grinned, raising his hands in mock surrender. "Don't kill me," he said, "but I invited Dylan over. Talk to him. It will make you feel better."

"I can't," I said, panicking. "I don't think I can face him. How am I ever going to look him in the eye again?"

Luke smirked. "Don't you think you're being a tad melodramatic, Lillian?"

He pulled the door open, letting Dylan into the house, and I drew in a sharp breath, feeling sick to my stomach.

"Lilly?" Dylan asked, his voice concerned. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I managed, unable to meet his eyes. My face burned bright red under the scrutiny of his gaze.

"Are you sure?" he pressed. "Because you don't act fine."

"I'm going to be in the other room if you need me," Luke said, leaving to give Dylan and I some privacy to talk.

I gulped, suddenly even more uncomfortable now that Luke was no longer there to serve as a buffer between Dylan and me.

"Talk to me, Lilly," Dylan insisted, pulling my face up so that I was looking him in the eyes.

I blushed ever brighter red, feeling like my face was going to combust with what. If it was possible to die of embarrassment, I probably would have.

"It's nothing," I muttered. "It's just been a weird day. Don't worry about it."

Dylan would not be so easily deterred, though. "Please, Faye. Just talk to me. Don't shut me out."

I glanced down at my lap, picking at my fingernails instead of meeting Dylan's gaze. "I realized something today," I said quietly.

Dylan was quiet, waiting for me to continue, and I gulped, trying to find the courage to get the words out. What was the best way to tell your best friend that you were possibly in love with them?

"I realized that...well, maybe I...It's just that..."

"Spit it out, Faye."

"I think...well, the thing is... I like you Dylan," I said, the words rushing out.

He was quiet, and I hurried to explain. "I'm not exactly sure when it happened, and I know I always said you were like my brother, and maybe you don't feel the same way, but I think you need to know. I like you and if you want to just stay friends, that's fine. I'll deal with it. I value our friendship, and I don't want to do anything to jeopardize that. I know you probably don't feel the same way, but--"