28.

Chapter 28.
Now that things were settled with Luke, and Dylan and I were officially a couple, I felt like a giant weight had been lifted off of my shoulders. The only thing standing between me and complete bliss and happiness was the unresolved conflict with Avery. And, with any luck, our plan would work, and that would be resolved today.

While Avery was still out with Ben, Dylan drove me back to my house so that we could rig the guest room with video cameras to catch Avery's cruelty on video. I had decided that the guest room was the best place for our confrontation with Avery, since it was away from the prying eyes of my father, and Avery perceived it as her territory. She would be less suspicious there, because she felt at ease.

"Are you nervous?" Dylan asked, rubbing his hand along my back as I turned the small camera perched discreetly on the dresser on and checked that the light was blinking, indicating that it was on and recording.

I shook my head. "Not really. I just hope this works. I am beyond ready to be rid of Avery for good, and if this doesn't work, I'm going to be stuck pretending to be friendly with her for the foreseeable future. At least if my parents know what she's really like, they might stop pressuring me to be friends with her."

Dylan kissed the top of my head, and I marveled at the fact that Dylan actually liked me. It was still hard to wrap my head around that. How had we both been so oblivious for so long? "It will work," he promised. "And if it doesn't, we'll come up with something else that does work."

I smiled at him. "I know," I said. "I have amazing friends who are there to help me. No matter what Avery does, she can't take that from me. All of you already know she's awful."

Dylan nodded. "And Ben is on board with the plan. As soon as Ben brings Avery home, he's going to come up to the guest room with her for the big showdown. He promised to text me before they head upstairs so we have some warning."

"What if Avery doesn't invite Ben back to her room?"

Dylan made a face. "She will," he assured me. "That's how Avery keeps guys interested in her. Trust me, guys don't put up with her for her personality."

I froze. "Wait, did you and she....?" I was unable to finish that sentence, because it made me feel sick to my stomach thinking about what Dylan might have done with Avery.

Dylan shook his head. "No, of course not," he assured me. "I'll admit, there was some making out and removal of shirts, but no sex. I couldn't, when the only girl I really wanted was you."

I exhaled, feeling more than a little relieved. "Good," I told him. "That's what I like to hear."

Dylan smirked. "Why, are you jealous, Faye?"

I rolled my eyes at him. "I think we already established that I like you, Olson. There's no need to gloat about it. I don't enjoy the thought of sharing you with other girls."

"There's no one else," Dylan assured me, pressing his lips to mine in a quick kiss. Just then, Dylan's phone buzzed with a text message, and he glanced down at it.

"That was Ben," Dylan said. "It's show time."

Dylan and I hurried from the guest room, heading across the hall to my bedroom. I pulled Dylan inside, shutting the door behind us.

"So, how do you want to play this, Faye?" Dylan asked.

I think you'd better stay in here," I whispered to him. "If Avery sees you, she's going to figure out that something is up. She still thinks I'm dating Luke."

Dylan frowned. "I'm going to have to remedy that."

"Really? That's your concern?" I asked dryly. "It doesn't matter what Avery thinks. If this works, we won't have to put up with her anymore."