Chapter 2

Sakura

As she unlocked the door of her apartment and stumbled inside, her head throbbing and her mind foggy, she made a beeline towards the fridge.

Crap. It's almost empty again.

She cursed herself for forgetting about the groceries. She sifted through some of the stuff, and found something that made her smile.

Tomatoes.

She shook her head. Not again. She would not think about him or eat his favourite food. She decided that the best course of action was to take a quick bath, and go to the grill nearby and have something to eat. She hopped in and out of the bathroom in 10 minutes, and walked briskly towards the grill.

"Shikamaru! Temari!" she yelled almost as soon as she saw them, glad to see her friends unexpectedly.

"Hey!" they said in unison, waving back.

"I brought her here because she wanted to know why Choji obsesses over this place so much. Wanna join us?" Shikamaru asked.

"Ummm..." Sakura hesitated, wondering if she was interrupting their date.

"Don't worry. I'm bored of being around him so much anyway." Temari joked.

"Aaahh. So this is what life is like, after dating. Be glad you're single Sakura!" Shikamaru rolled his eyes.

"No she isn't!" Temari scowled.

"What? Sasuke asked you out?" Shikamaru asked, clearly surprised.

Sakura scratched her head, now wishing they hadn't run into each other. She was also surprised at how everyone was very evidently aware of the fact that if she were to be with someone at all, it had to be Sasuke.

"He... didn't. Not exactly. It's complicated." she fumbled, absentmindedly touching her forehead, recalling his departure.

"Of course it's complicated. It's Sasuke! What a drag." Shikamaru rolled his eyes.

"Shikamaru!" Temari elbowed him hard.

"No! He's right, actually. Nothing is easy with Sasuke, now, is it?" Sakura smiled half-heartedly, attracting sympathetic looks from her friends.

"Now, now! Don't make that face. You HAVE to dine with us." Temari added cheerfully, hoping to lift the mood.

"Actually..." Sakura began, trying to sound as convincing as possible "I was taking a walk. I just stopped at the grill to say hi."

Neither of them looked convinced, but they didn't protest.

"Umm.. Sakura.." Shikamaru began, hesitant about bringing up a taboo subject. "I wanted to talk to you about Sasuke."

She was surprised.

"There have been reports that... that he's planning to attack the village again." he braced himself for a burst of fury from the hot-headed Sakura.

"I know." she simply added. "I... heard the rumors. Naruto and Kakashi sensei have been receiving messages from the feudal lords and some shinobi leaders as well. But they're all lies, of course." she looked at him questioningly, wondering if he agreed with those who were doubting Sasuke.

"Of course, Of course!" he added hastily. "They're lies, but it would be good for his own reputation if he showed us that he cared about us, you know? If we knew his whereabouts, or what he was doing."

She opened her mouth in protest.

"Sakura, I get that he wouldn't do it. I believe him. And you. And Naruto. And Kakashi. We all know him better than the people who are throwing accusations around, but we're helpless in this situation. This is diplomacy. We need facts and proof to dispel the reputation he's made for himself. What has he been doing since he went away? Did he report on his missions? What were their outcomes? I know he doesn't communicate any of that to us, and him being elusive is doing him more harm than good."