Chapter 12

Adrienne's point of View

I found Amar at the tattoo place. He was talking to Tori. It was more like Tori yelling at him. I waited outside till they were done. Once he stepped out, I said. "We need to talk." I turned around and headed for The Chasm. I couldn't risk anyone hearing us.

Once there, he asked. "What is this about Adrienne?" I turned around to face him. "This is about Raven."

"It's a tragedy, isn't it? Of all the initiates I wouldn't have thought she'd be the one to jump. She was doing so well too." I was about to punch him, but I stopped myself. He knew. He had to know. The scream. The blood. He was there. Why was he pretending he didn't? Unless...No, he wouldn't. She trusted him. He wouldn't. Unless....He did.

"I know."

"About what?" He asked half confused, half afraid.

"About Raven. I know."

"I did what I had to do. She's too dangerous." Wait. Did he just say she "is" too dangerous? "I knew it. I knew she didn't kill herself. Where is she?" I asked demanding.

"Why should I tell you?"

"You betrayed the wrong girl. Now if your body happened to show up in the Chasm, then no one would question it. So, you better tell me where my sister is or I will make sure to end you."

"She's with the Erudite." He confessed.

"Now I will go and rescue her. Then we'll both come back and end you. Unless you do it yourself," I continued. "What happened to what you said to me on my first day? Divergents protect each other. Then what does that make you?"

I turned around, and said. "You have until I bring her back. Either end your life or we'll do it for you." Then I left.

Frustrated I went to the one person that I knew would understand. Rhys. He saw me, and I gestured for him to follow me. We hadn't talked since I told Raven the truth. I headed to the Chasm. "Hey," he said once we got there.

"Hey."

"What's wrong?"

"Everything."

I told him everything that happened. He nodded and listened. Never interrupting. I loved that about him. He listened. He already knew that she was my sister. I trusted him enough to tell him my secret, so trusting him now was easy. "You don't think she's dead."

"Of course not. Anyone who looked at her could see it. Her need for survival. That need is the result of a hard life. It's why everyone liked her."

He looked at me with a sad smile. "You don't think this is your way of denying it. You might blame yourself for it. I know the truth remember. I know how much you hated your mom, how much you hated her betrayal. I know you."

"I know I was awful to her. I know that I blamed her for mom killing herself. I know that I am the worst person, but I have to do this. I need to do this."

His face turned to worry. It seems like it never left him. He always worried about me. "You need this don't you?"

"Yes."

"You honestly believe that she's alive?"

"Yes. I can feel it."

He looked at me, the worry growing.

I stepped closer, "I need you to believe me. I need her to forgive me. Please."

"Yes. I'll come with you."

"Really?"

"Yeah. When you love someone, you do anything for them. And...I love you."

I smiled. I never get tired of hearing those words. "I love you too."