Chapter 8

Catherine's Point Of View

No one saw Adrienne much. No one knew what happened to her. Maybe that's because I wasn't trying to find her. When the first stage of initiation was over, Amar announced the rankings. First on the list was Eric, then Four. "Good job Raven," Zeke said heading over.

"What are you talking about?" I asked confused.

"You're third, Raven. After Four." I looked back at the rankings and saw my name after Tobias'. I knocked Adrienne out of third. I looked for her name, and found it right after mine. I exhaled. In relief. She'd have killed me if I made her factionless.

Visiting Day came next. As Tobias and I stood awkwardly in the corner. I found my eyes searching for Mother. He told me, "She isn't coming. Stop looking for her." Then he looked at me. "You don't need her. We don't need them."

"I know. It's just not fair. We have no family." I said looking at the joy in Zeke's mom. Watching him laugh with his little brother. I found myself watching in envy. Of everything I never had.

"That's not true, Cate. We have each other. We are each other's family. We don't need anyone else," he said. I smiled at him. He hasn't called me Cate since we were eight. Zeke interrupted us. "Raven, Four, look." He said pointing towards a blond girl. It took me a minute to realize, it was Adrienne.

She was limping. Her arms had bruises all over. Her nose had a stitch, and her eye was swollen. You could tell she was in pain every time she moved. Rhys ran to her side and helped her. He led her towards a Man. The man looked around Mother's age. He had brown hair and had green eyes. It was Adrienne's father. Though his features were different from Adrienne's, I could tell. He looked at her horrified as Rhys left her side and returned to his family. Keeping an eye on Adrienne, just in case. I looked back at Adrienne and found her father hugging her. Whispering something into her ears. When they pulled away, I could tell Adrienne was trying to hold back her tears. "I guess she really does have a heart," Zeke said jokingly next to me. I watched as Adrienne's father left. Rhys was heading her way to help her when she shook her head. She turned around and left. By instinct, I followed.

After a few turns, I could tell she was heading towards the Chasm. I don't know why I was following her. I just couldn't resist. She turned the last corner. I saw her leaning in on the rail. I turned around, but I was too late. She saw me. "Just leave," she said. I cursed myself and my curiosity and headed towards her. "What do you want?" She asked. I was searching for the disgust in her voice, only to find none.

"I just wanted to apologize about what I did to you." She looked at me confused.

"Why? You only did what you were supposed to. I underestimated you." I exhaled in relief. I half expected her to throw me into the Chasm.

"Was that your father back there?" I asked. She looked at me with rage in her eyes. I stepped back. She stood straight and walked towards me. She was ready to attack. I took a step back as she walked towards me. Her face in rage. I could almost hear her thoughts. She wanted blood.

Instead she just looked at me. "He's a good man. He didn't deserve what he got. He didn't deserve what she did to him," she said. I looked at her confused.

"What?" I asked confused. From the look on Adrienne's face I could tell she wasn't talking to me. She stepped back. She had a look on her face. One that I recognized. I've seen it before. On Tobias. On me. On Eric. She was fighting with herself. Fighting the urge to say something. To do something.

Then she looked at me. She could tell I was confused. Then she asked me confused, "you don't know?" I was about to ask her what she was talking about, when she whispered to herself. "She doesn't know."

"What don't I know?" She ignored my question and asked. "Why do you think I hate you?"

I took a step back shocked. "What?"

"You really don't know, do you? I guess I shouldn't have assumed. It's just that when I saw you, I just assumed you knew."

"What are you talking about Adrienne?"

"I'm your sister."