Ruin the Friendship (Selena x Demi)

Selena Gomez made her way up to her former best friend's door, bottle of red wine in hand, non-alcoholic of course. Though she and Demi grew up together, their friendship was beyond rocky. They didn't speak regularly, which was why when Selena got the invitation to come over a few days prior she was almost sure it was a prank. It'd been over a year since they'd spoken and over 5 since they'd last been genuine friends. Both of them had been through hell and back. Both of them knew it. Both of them had let their friendship fall apart.

She reached over to ring the doorbell, a sigh coming out. With the amount of anxiety in her chest, she thought she was going to pass out. She didn't know why she was there or what she was supposed to expect. The call Demi had made was sudden, but Selena felt she owed it to their years of friendship to go.

When Demi finally opened the door she was relieved to see a smile on her face. "Selena, hi!" The younger woman stepped out to give Selena a quick hug. She chuckled a hello and gave her a small squeeze back. Demi was acting almost as if they'd never stopped speaking.

The summer night was a bit chilly, so when Demi invited her inside Selena eagerly moved past her and into the foyer. "I brought wine. It has no alcohol in it," Selena said as she handed the bottle over, Demi thanking her and taking it when the door was shut.

Selena had never been in Demi's house, not this one. She'd moved a few months after her drug overdose, the last thing that had led the two of them to speak. Selena had visited her in the hospital. Despite the efforts made, nothing much sprouted from it.

The younger of the duo headed for the living room besides the hallway where they stood, taking a seat on the large white sofa. Selena took a moment to choose whether she wanted to sit beside her former friend or across from her on the sofa's twin. She opted to sit beside her.

They made small talk, painfully awkward and clearly forced. The weather, upcoming projects, dumb stuff neither of them wanted to talk about. Selena didn't know what to feel. She had no hard feelings towards Demi, despite all of the shade and petty bullshit. Clearly Demi felt the same if she invited her over. The tension between them failed to subside, though. It was thick enough to cut with a knife. Selena could feel it. She wondered if Demi did too.

"How's your mom and Brian? Gracie?" Demi asked as she set the bottle on the coffee table.

"They're great, yeah," Selena answered with a small grin and a nod. The last time Demi had seen her, Gracie was just a few months shy of being a year old. Now she was 5. "How's your family?"

"They're great," Demi echoed Selena's answer, pulling her legs up. The silence that followed mirrored the horror of the tension.

After a few agonzing moments Selena broke the quiet. "Demi, why am I here?"

She seemed taken aback by the question, it showed on her face. She said nothing for a minute before picking up the bottle of wine.

"So, wine?"

Selena stayed put on the sofa, resting her arm on the couch's. She waited while Demi took two wine glasses out of her kitchen cabinets and poured the red liquid in, nearly to the top, and brought them both back to the living room. She handed Selena one of them and kept the other.

Demi cleared her throat and situated herself, taking a sip of wine and grabbing a throw pillow. She let it rest on her lap and toyed with the corner as she spoke.

"I wanted to apologize, for 2009."

Selena raised her brows. She hadn't touched her wine, but all of a sudden she felt like chugging the remainder of the bottle. 2009 was the year their friendship took its first big hit. After that, new friendships were built with other people, interviews with shady comments came out, nasty tweets were sent and rumors flew. The dozen other times Selena and Demi "apologized" or "made amends," 2009 was never brought up. Everything after it had been. But 2009? No. That seemed like forbidden territory.