Chapter 21

Hanabi held the back of her neck when she slowly wakes up. It still hurts and she could remember how Hayabusa hit her back then.

Upon opening her eyes, she saw Chief Haruno standing across her.

"Yo, chief," she jested with an awkward smile. "It's been quite a while, I guess."

"It is indeed," the chief replied. "So, what can you say for yourself about leaving during your wedding?"

"Ah!" she exclaimed. "Hayabusa has temporary memory loss when he fell off the cliff."

The chief narrowed his sight towards her, ignoring what she just said. Hanabi scratched the back of her neck.

"I was just concerned so I just wanted to tell you," she said with a lower tone of voice.

"I have already altered his memories before he left the village so that temporary memory loss is false," the chief informed her.

With confusion, Hanabi's eyebrows almost meet at the center of her forehead. "What? Why'd you do that?"

"As a punishment for what you all did. For trying to trick us. Hayabusa and Kagura bear the weight of you leaving the village. Now, Hanabi, if you want to keep your memories, you better behave and marry Hayabusa for real this time."

"What?! That is just absurd!" Hanabi exclaimed.

"What is absurd here is you turning your back to your written fate! You and Hayabusa are destined to be together and defeat the traitor who killed your entire clan!" Chief Haruno explained with anger.

"I can kill Hanzo alone!" Hanabi insisted.

"No, you can not," Chief Haruno negated. "You may have achieved the blessing of Amaterasu with your viper transformation but that alone is not enough."

"How can you be so sure about that when we haven't tried it yet?" Hanabi asked with clenched fist.

"It's because Izanami had chosen Hanzo to be one with him," the chief replied calmly as he took a seat beside Hanabi's bed.

"What do you mean by that, chief?" the scarlet ninja asked.

"Hanzo was born like any other boys out there but as he grew up, I noticed the different aura he was emitting. Just then, I saw a mark on the nape of his neck, it was the mark of Izanami. I thought it was just an ordinary birth mark but I made a research so I could be assured that he is just an ordinary boy. But after such, it was confirmed that Izanami did made his mark on him. At a young age, he became a skilled swordsman despite the fact that he only learned how to use a sword in a span of one month. I think his thirst for blood is caused by Izanami so Hanzo could kill more which would please that death god. My prediction is that his mark has been triggered the day of your father's death."

Hanabi is speechless for her enemy is also under the mercy of a god, and at most, a powerful one and a god of death at that.

"I'll give you time to make your decision," Chief Haruno said before leaving her alone. But this time, Hanabi grabbed the cape beside her bed and escaped. She is thankful that the night has already fallen, making her leave less obvious. She has to kill Hanzo as soon as possible for she will be doomed if he becomes aware of Izanami's presence in him.

Upon reaching the woods, she heads east where the nearest village is. She could gather information about Hanzo or the Kira organization.

At dawn, Hanabi found another village, she clutched the cape harder around her as she felt her stomach grumble. She could smell the sweet-tasting food around her. Her mouth watered at the sight of the food stalls but she could not do anything but stare for she does not have money with her.