Chapter 31

The very next day, Hanabi went to see Chief Haruno first thing in the morning. She took a deep breathe and wore a smile before entering in his office.

"I apologize, Hanabi, but we have lost Hanzo and Shizuka as they escaped last night," the chief said upon seeing her enter.

Even if it pains her, Hanabi shook her head and smiled, "Thank you for letting me know, chief. We should let him be for now since we managed to retrieve the Ame no Habakiri. But there is something else I want to ask for."

The chief puts down his brush and looks at the scarlet ninja, "What is it?"

"Now that the Ame no Habakiri and Hanekage are all in their rightful place, don't you think it's about time to bring back Hayabusa's memories?" Hanabi replied. "There is no need for us to be wed so I was thinking if you could give him and Kagura the chance to be happy together, without hiding anything from you."

The chief sighed, then, smiled at the scarlet ninja, "Since you requested for it, I shall do so."

"Thank you!" Hanabi exclaimed in delight.

She ran to Kagura's house and banged on the door like a child, "Kagura! Kagura!"

The onmyouji opens the door and asks, "Hanabi, you should really learn proper etiquette from me personally."

Hanabi yanked the silver-haired girl out the door and led her to the office of the chief.

"What are we doing here exactly?" Kagura asked.

A loud cry startled the two of them that came from the chief's office. Kagura got worried for she recognized that voice. It belonged to Hayabusa. She turned her back and ran inside as fast as she could. Upon entering, she saw Hayabusa, kneeling down on the floor as he holds his aching head.

"What happened?" Kagura worriedly asked as she holds his shoulder. "Tell me, maybe I could be of help."

"Kagura," Hayabusa mumbled. He lifted his head and grabbed her into a tight hug. "I missed you."

The silver-haired girl sniffed as she tried to stop her tears from falling. She lifted her hands and hugged him back as she lets out a cry.

"You're back," she sobs and Hanabi, who is waiting outside, could hear her. A smile forms on her lips for the two of them finally reconciled.

"I'm sorry," Hayabusa apologized but Kagura shook her head.

"Don't be," she said, "It's not your fault, as long as you're back, everything's fine."

Hanabi stood on her feet upon hearing the door open. She greets the couple with a smile. Kagura, who just finished crying, came running towards her and gave her a hug.

"Thank you so much, Hanabi," she whispered.

"Okay, no hugging," the scarlet ninja said, thus, Kagura backed away with a giggle.

Hayabusa, who remembered what he had said back at the lake, could not look at Hanabi straight in the eyes. This made the dark-haired girl chuckle in amusement.

"Now, I no longer owe you two," Hanabi said as she crossed her arms with a smirk.

"Yeah," Hayabusa muttered. "Thanks for talking to the chief."

"Then, see you around," Hanabi replied as she turns around and walks away.

"She is kind of sweet, you know," Kagura said as she held Hayabusa's hand. "She still made a way for us to be together despite the fact that she is hurt deep inside."

The two stared at the scarlet ninja as she continues to walk away, slowly disappearing from sight.

Hanabi went around town to keep herself preoccupied but still, her mind kept on thinking, why did Hanzo and Shizuka leave together? Has there been something between them from the very beginning? Has there been something between them that she failed to notice?